Pumpkins

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Great result from them this year but must say have been disappointed with Autumn Crown. Thought it would be a good mix being a cross between Crown Prince & Butternut but kind of hoped it would have more Crown Prince attributes. It might just be my growing but they are quite small & the flesh is quite light yellow - taste is OK but you don't get the sweet tacky bits when roasted & soup is also not as appetising looking being paler.

My Musquee D'Hiverde Provence are huge & very orange flesh & have already ordered my seed of these & QLD Blue for next year. What have you guys found great (or not) this year?

Westi
Westi
peter
KG Regular

First Crown Prince, carrot, bacon and potato soup made last week, delicious. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Peter

I shouldn't veer from my tried & trusted but you never know could have the next Moonlight of the runner bean world, in pumpkin form! Alas not from Autumn Crown!

Westi
Westi
Chantal
KG Regular

I was thinking of Autumn Crown for next year... perhaps not :(

I have grown a big pile of Winter Festival and Crown Prince, but what's the best way to store them?
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
peter
KG Regular

I used to keep mine in the garage attached to our house, with freezer and washing machine tumble dryer in. On a coverless growbag greenhouse with all the wire mesh shelves in.

Now I have an insulated workshop she'd with electricity laid on I use that.
Fan heater on "frost free", little dehumidifier, and in bread basket/trays stacked on the work bench.

Check weekly for rot.

If you don't it will dribble on good ones and stink the place out. :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

We have an Autumn Crown in our garage waiting to be eaten amongst a batch of winter squashes bought from a PYO Farm. We were hoping it would have the same flavour & texture as Crown Prince but sounds as if we may be a little disappointed. Do check them fairly regularly but will again heed the warning. Main hazard in our garage is possible little mice nibbles.
Westi
KG Regular

It may have well been my growing conditions though that has created less than expected. Please let me know your results as they are attractive & although small are just right 4 the 2 of us & also being smaller the vine can support more per plant.

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic