raspberries for village show

Harvesting and preserving your fruit & veg

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

The Mouse
KG Regular

Does anyone know if you should remove the calix or not when showing raspberries?
Our village is having its first produce (and handicraft) show for many years in a week's time, and amongst other things, I'm thinking of entering a "plate of raspberries".

The rules seem very relaxed and don't actually specify such things, so I get the impression that they don't want this to be the traditional type of show with very strict rules. For instance, unless specified,pots, bowls and troughs etc can be of any shape or size. Even so, I'd appreciate some guidance on what's normal, if anyone knowns.

Also, how many do you think they expect on a plate?
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Elaine
KG Regular

Hi Mouse. I think you should leave it on and use scissors to snip the stalk from the cane. Avoid handling the berry so as not to damage or bruise it.

I'm not sure of the amount but it's usually odd numbers and few rather than a plateful. It helps if the fruits you select are as uniform as possible, in size, shape and ripeness/colour.

Our Allotment show gave the criteria required but I'm blowed if I can remember it.... I seem to think I had 5 or 7 raspberries on my plate, all very much alike. I got 3rd but there were only 6 entries! I was still chuffed though.. :D

You could try googling "Showing Raspberries". I'm sure you will find some information...but then,I'm sure someone on here, far more knowlegeable than me, will be able to give you all the help you need
Good luck!
Happy with my lot
John
KG Regular

Hi Mouse
Just a quick answer. Leave the calyx on with about 1cm of stalk showing. Arrange in a circle with the calyx to the centre. They will look particularly attractive when displayed resting on several raspberry leaves covering your paper plate. Pick on the morning of the show unless rain is forecast as they do not keep well once picked. 12 fruits are often expected.
Gook luck in the show
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
The Mouse
KG Regular

Thanks for your advice, both of you.

Leaving the calyx on makes sense - proves they haven't just been bought from the supermarket anyway :lol:

I wouldn't have thought of decorating the plate with leaves. I like that idea.

Now I just need my raspberries to keep growing nicely over the next week. I hope we don't get too much rain, as I don't want them to go mouldy!

This will be my first ever show, so I'm quite excited. I'm trying to resist the temptation to enter too many different things, but its hard :)
Mark Twain
Primrose
KG Regular

Mouse. Live dangerously and enter whatever classes you have suitsble products for. I have never entered a show but at the last one I visited, just to compare notes, Ifound that in three or four classes rhe winners seemed to be the same quality as mine at home so you never know your luck . Often it seems to be your ability on the day of the show findng the right number of items of exactly the same size, shape, colour, etc. Round here it seems to be 5 or 7 items (peas, beans etc and for soft fruit, the same number, or small bowls full, although size of bowl not always specified).
The Mouse
KG Regular

I just thought I'd update you - my raspberries won 3rd prize. In the end, I decorated the plate with leaves as suggested, and used about 14 berries. The judges comment was "lovely presentation but could do with plateful of fruit". To be honest, I felt a bit peeved, as the schedule said a "plate", not "plateful". However, I think that even if I'd used more berries, on this occasion I still wouldn't have beaten the two that took first and second place as they were such high quality berries.

I also followed Primrose's advice and entered as many classes as I could - 12 in all. As I got 5 First places, 2 Seconds and 1 Third, I am very happy. In fact, I ended up in third place for the overall winner of the show. Not bad for a novice.
Not that I can be too smug - my shortbread petticoat tails had worked out perfectly, and tasted delicious, but I was awarded 1st place without the judges even tasting them because there were no other entries. Also, my winning chutney was one of only two entries in its category!!!

However, I think I might be hooked, as I'm already planning what I can make or grow for next year's show. :lol:
Mark Twain
Primrose
KG Regular

Jolly well done Mouse!. Congratulations : :D I often think we amateur growers just grow our stuff without sometimes realising how good it is. We looked at some Runner beans in s greengrocers shop show the other day when we were on holiday snd they were all gnarled and curly and tough skinned...and far too big. Then we came home from holiday this morning and I picked our which were long and straight (mostly!) and not too big and I realised that some of the stuff people buy is very inferior and they never get to realise how good and fresh our home grown stuff is.

I've been giving a friend some of my surplus yellow wax and Cobra French climbing beans and she says she just never sees stuff of that quality in the shops.

So well done again! When are you setting up your farm shop? :lol:
Elaine
KG Regular

Oh well done Mouse! Brilliant! :D
Happy with my lot
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Bert, all the national growers will probably be worrying, now there is a new kid on the block. :)

Very well done indeed.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Congratulations Mouse!

It's a great feeling having a little win & seeing what others are growing. Well done!

Westi
Westi
John
KG Regular

Well done, Mouse.
I expect you're already planning what to enter in next year's show!
Don't worry about getting a first because you were the only entry - the judge will only give an award if he/she thinks the exhibit is worthy of it.
When you're buying seed look for show or bench varieties as these will give you a crop that looks good in a show. They usually have a good colour and uniform size which is what you need. For carrots an outstanding variety is 'Sweet Candle' but you'll need to grow them in a barrel to get them at their best.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
The Mouse
KG Regular

Thanks for your congratulations, everyone :oops:

John, you are so right - I am already planning for next year's show!!! Along with lots of other things, I definitely plan to give long carrots and parsnips a go and I've already got all the family on the look-out for old barrels or other containers that I could use :D

Roll on next spring, so that I can get started!
Mark Twain
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic