Corkscrew Carrots

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

melliff
KG Regular

I've never been able to grow carrots successfully in my garden as the soil is very heavy clay. This year I invested in a raised bed which, so far, has been a great success. I expected to be able to grow decent carrots in it but, having harvested a few, they are all very healthy, but after the first three inches, they turn into corkscrews.

The raised bed is about 10 inches high. Before filling it I dug over the ground and then filled it with a mixture of one third home-made compost, one third sand and one third sieved garden soil.

Any suggestions as to why the carrots are not straight?

Martin.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Martin,
Corkscrew Carrots are usually as the result of several carrots growing together so perhaps the fault may lie in the thinning out process.
If several carrots grow together they intertwine and then half way through the growing period the others are killed off by the dominant plant which is the one you finally pull. Once it has the corkscrew in the body it will mature that way.
Next year or even now, because it is possible to sow some varieties up until the end of August, try planting individual seeds about an inch apart
and only when there is something meaningful to eat do the thinning process. Thin to between 2 and 3 inches apart so take 2 out the middle but if one of the two is growing very well leave it and let it mature.
You may consider sowing at one inch apart as a real fag but it really pays dividends and the fag is worth it.
JB.
melliff
KG Regular

Thanks for the response although I'm not sure your suggestion is the reason. I gave up sowing carrots directly in the ground as the slugs ate the seedlings the moment they appeared. I now sow in newspaper pots and plant them out when the seedlings are large enough. I suppose the corkscrewing might be due to this?

Martin.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic