Growing Aubergines & Peppers outdoors

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

George Gray
KG Regular

Anyone had any luck getting crops from Aubergines and Peppers grown outdoors- ie not in a polytunnel or cloche?!!? I have too many plants for my greenhouse
George the Pigman
retropants
KG Regular

i suppose if you have spare it's worth a go. Peppers are more likely to succeed than aubergines imho.
glallotments
KG Regular

I depends on what the weather does really - if it stays like this they may struggle but if they are spare plants anyway I'm with retropants and would give it a go!
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

The people on the allotments around mine seem to do peppers well. Not the sweet ones, but the hot types, which go green, then red, then black. I have actually had a crop from a couple of Cayenne pepper plants outside, but not enough to make it worth my while. I even protected them my making a rough-and-ready polythene screen. I'm going to have another go this year, because I think the beds are better prepared and my seedlings are looking stronger than last year's.

I've had no success with aubergines even inside a greenhouse. But sweet and hot peppers have done well for me under glass and I intend to grow these every year.
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
glallotments
KG Regular

We've grown chilli peppers outside too. They frew loads of peppers which I gave away after problems with my hands. The person I gave them to dried them and gave me some back.
macmac
KG Regular

We usually grow our chillis in the greenhouse but have had some success with odd plants on the allotment. So this year having saved some seed which came up like grass :lol: I've got loads of plants so they're going in wherever there is space.
I usually freeze all the surplus,in their frozen state they are easier to chop. :)
Aubergines have never done too well for me whether in or out but ever the optimist there are three in the greenhouse again this year :)
sanity is overrated
Onei
KG Regular

I have gown peppers in normal grow bags before, outside and left to the elements. Thy came out quite nicely. I seem to remember the weather being quite hot and sunny generally though.
Children's wooden kitchen toys are great for pretend play.
Primrose
KG Regular

I've grown peppers, aubergines and chillis outdoors for several years as I don't have a greenhouse and have always produced a reasonable crop, although aubergines are the trickiest to grow if we don't have a reasonably warm sunny summer. I think the secret is to grow them in the biggest pots you can and in the sunniest, most protected position out of the wind. . Mine are up against an east facing house wall where they receive the sun until about 2 p.m. Even when shade falls on them, the brick house wall still continues to give off heat and I usually end up having to stake the plants because the weight of the crops start to cause the pots to topple over.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic