goji berries

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

jc47
KG Regular

These seem to be the current " next best thing to sliced bread ". Has anyone grown them from seed, if so how easy is it ? I've also got access to some Duke of Arglles Tea plant cuttings which I beleive are the same plant, has anyone managed to grow the berries this way ?
Many thanks JC47.
madasafish
KG Regular

growing from seed is easy. 100% germination.

Pot them on and by autumn plants are up to 0.5metres high.
Overwinter in greenhouse first year.

Warnings: Slugs LOVE them. They will strip them bare. Slug pellets essential.
Don't like being in very wet compost.. welll drained is best.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi JC47,
Whatever you do with Lycium barbarum do not be tempted to plant these plants in your garden. They are so rampant you will never get rid of them.
I know a person locally that planted some 40 years ago and has been trying to get rid of them for thirty or more years and they still spring up every year!
JB.
George Gray
KG Regular

They are actually Wofberries that occur as natural hedging in East Anglia.

Here is an excellent article in good old Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfberry
George the Pigman
alan refail
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I only found out last year that some cuttings I'd taken from a hedgerow in Doncaster about 10 years ago of Duke of Argyl's Tea Tree were actually the wonder fruit - Goji berry.

I've potted them up and fed them and have just had a lovely display of flowers which I polinated with a soft paint brush, but so far none have set as berries.

They have never had any fruit all the time I've had them, but I thought that may have been neglect. They are worth keeping just for their arching branches and pretty purple flowers and if you know someone who has one ask if you can take a cutting - they are very easy to grow, and it may be a better fruiting kind than I have.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

We ordered 3 from T&M on special offer and they are due to arrive any time now. Thanks for the warning, JB; I'll put 2 in the allotment in a special area where I don't intend to drow other things and the one for the garden will go in a large container. I suppose I'll have to repot it every year, though.

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic