Suckers at base of crab apple tree

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Has anyone any advice on the best way to remove suckers without killing the tree? Small Floribunda crab apple - about 15 years old.

When it first started sending them out I tore them off as far down as I could get as advised in all the books. It sent more out so I just chopped them off with the secateurs. There are now a lot more. Last year I painted them with herbicide when they sent leaves out which seemed to stop them a bit. I was thinking of dosing them with something stronger. Any suggestions? It is a nice umbrella shaped smallish tree that the birds like sitting in on their way to the bird table.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

No expert, but surely anything stronger might damage/kill the main plant. Is this a grafted tree?
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

No it's on it's own roots, that's why I'm afraid I might kill it, but it looks a mess with all the suckers. I suppose I could try something stronger and replace it if it dies.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Anything chemical will go into the roots and kill the plant, I take it you would like a "standard" plant and it is not having any of it. I know there are more than one species of Malus, maybe have a search around and see if there's one that is less shrub and more tree.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
peter
KG Regular

Do hope you're not using the crab apples for culinary purposes. :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

No Peter, purely ornamental.
Attachments
2018-02-19 19.19.33.jpg
2018-02-19 19.19.33.jpg (364.45 KiB) Viewed 6870 times
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Sorry it's a rubbish photo but it was a bit dark. I think it shows the suckers I want to get rid of.
Westi
KG Regular

I'd just keep cutting them off. Eventually you must weaken them & they will lessen in number. Nice looking tree & huge bird feeder! I get these around the trunk of my fruit trees under the graft & cut them low as possible, maybe need to do it twice a year. You do get a little jumble of knitted branches at the bottom left but I quite like the look & probably a good habitat for something.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic