Moving Shallots!

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

I have been measuring up to site my new net tunnel for my brassica's. The only space I have in the rotation is an empty bed toward the front of the plot but the bed behind has my overwintered shallot sets & I need this space as well for the size I need. They went in about November, and have already split & looking like I could have a decent crop of good sized shallots if they continue like this.

Could I move these to another bed? They never seem deeply rooted when I harvest them, but can't say that is true or not as not really interested in that bit of them. If I took them with a big rootball would they transfer successfully & would this be a good time to do it?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

On the basis that I always try to get away with breaking the rules if ai try and donit sensibly, I’d say “Give it a go” on the basis that you transfer each one with a large rootball and have the holes dig for them in your new location beforehand so that the chance of soil falling off the roots Is kept to an absolute minimum. i,d also try and do it on non frosty day so that you can easily firm up the soil around the roots in their new location afterwards.

In the past I,ve often come across an odd onion that has virtually eased itself out of its growing location and is hanging on by a thread and totally replanted it without any apparent subsequent distress so you will probably be lucky if you do it carefully.
Gerry
KG Regular

Hi Westi, Is it possible to put the tunnel up leaving the shallots inside or will they take up too much room?. Alternativly do as Primrose suggests.

Regards,
Gerry.
Westi
KG Regular

Definitely following Primrose's advice and I have moved them.

They had pretty good top growth but the roots fitted in a trowel full of soil so easy to move. I gave them a special prepared bed I had planned for something else - hope it's not too rich, but maybe potential for lottie show winners, but also have popped others in between what's left of the winter brassica's which will be pretty much poor soil after the length of time they have been in. Fingers crossed ,but the earth will still spin even if they don't survive!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear West, i think at worse, you may have a few go to seed.....and they will be off your "special prepared bed" in time to get something else planted there.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

It crossed my mind as well OH that they may get stressed out, but at least they aren't expensive to buy & I can still use them if I catch them before the stalk gets too big.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic