Manure

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Daveswife
KG Regular

I enjoy digging and for several years I have meant to get some well rotted manure and spread it over the veg area once it is dug. Our soil is free draining, slightly sandy, and we dig in plenty of stuff, as my Dad used to do! I'm thinking that by covering it in a layer of well rotted manure the worms will drag it down and our crops next year will be better than ever.

However, I have not yet got around to finding a source of the aforementioned well rotted manure! Should I have the cheek to turn up at any local stables and ask for their horse manure? Happy to dig it out ourselves, into our own bags, happy to pay for it.

We live close to a park where there is a herd of deer - maybe I should stroll up to them, shout "boo" so they have a poo and then pick it up? Only joking, of course. I reckon there ought to be a few bucketfulls of deer poo there, it's just a matter of walking around looking for it.

What do other members do?

Incidentally, I am rather obsessed with composting anything which will rot, and we have four compost bins on the go, but I'm thinking that well rotted animal manure might be better? An advice will be welcome.
Angie
robo
KG Regular

A lot of stables are only to happy to let you take it but you will be lucky if it's rotted you might have to let it stand for a while
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Good to make your own compost but you cant beat good well rotted animal manure added to the soil. Worms might not drag it all down but by crikey I bet they multiply if you put a good layer on.

Best time for being able to collect copious amounts of deer (as opposed to expensive) manure is during hours of darkness December 24th

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

No chance of father Christmas coming here this year I've been naughty so no chance of deer poo
Daveswife
KG Regular

My mother used to collect sheep poo from nearby fields, put it in a big tub of water, give it an occasional stir, and when the poo had dissolved Mum would dilute some of that brew and use it to water the plants. I'm thinking of doing the same with deer poo. I just need to get out into the park with a pair of rubber gloves and a bag!
Angie
robo
KG Regular

My farther in law used to drop a bag of horse muck into the water barrel always give it a stir prior to watering his tomatoes
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic