Soya Beans / Edamame

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

I've had some success with growing these - actually free seed so even happier! :)

Now I've been looking on the net to see when these might be ready. (Can't read the sown date on the label to work it out in days). All the sites show something very different to mine though!

My question is - the hairy bit around the seeds on mine are brown & all the pics & videos show green hair around theirs, but don't stipulate this is a sign they are ready but talk about leaves yellowing & the like! Does the hair change colour as they ripen as well or do I have a different variety? I just don't want to miss them at their best as apparently the window to get them sweet & not starchy is only about a week.
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I hope you enjoyed your soya beans Westi. Did you work out how long to leave them?

I planted mine later than you but am not sure how to tell when they're ready either. They taste ok but are not anywhere as large as shop bought ones. Any tips would be appreciated.

I've tried to grow some yard long beans again but they haven't flowered at all. I had wondered whether they were sensitive to day length but don t think it made any difference the last time I grew them.

My other experiment with exotics is growing a pineapple plant from the top I sliced off one we ate. It's a few months since I put it in a pot and I didn't think it was growing as the middle leaves had turned brown, but this week it has sent a strong side shoot out so is actually growing. I suppose I'd better bring it in the house for the winter as the greenhouse won't be tropical enough for it.
Westi
KG Regular

No success at all PP! The first sowing went over really quickly but I've kept them for seed next year, the second lot were just too small and even if a few larger ones no where near the size of bought ones. The other hassle was getting them out of the pods- there must be a trick to it or they just weren't ready.

I will try again with the saved seeds but will improve the soil a lot more and will cover them or grow in the greenhouse. They don't actually take up too much room so worth another try. My chickpeas were all blind as well with no seeds in any of the pods, so not the year for me unfortunately.
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

That's a shame Westi. I was wondering if they needed more fertilizer to make a larger bean. The plants look vigorous enough. It's fun to experiment anyway.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic