Would you prune an old cherry tree?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I have two quite old cherry trees both on dwarfing rootstock, but they are at least 12 ft high and wide so I can't net them and as I said in another post the wood pigeons have a new game - spit all the green cherries on the floor.

I know how to prune and when, but wonder if it's worth reducing them to a size that I can cover. Or whether just to get new trees. One would have had a really good crop this year if they'd left it alone.

I suppose I could hard prune the one with least fruit and see what happens to it -whether it sends new growth out or succumbs to disease and dies.

Has anyone tried pruning mature cherries and can advise me on the best option. I had thought about a shotgun but would probably wing the chap across the road.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

summer prune is the norm anyway for cherry trees isn't it ?like Plums.
what's to lose by attempting a hard prune.
I guess a year in time is lost if you end up having to replace them if it all goes pear shape (yes that is intentional lol)

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Wood turners love fruit wood, don't burn it or chuck it away if it does succumb.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi PP!
I would just give one the haircut of it's life, but protect the fruit on the other one by using those fruit fleece things that just slides on the branch rather then try to net the whole tree. I think the one you prune will probably survive being that big but will throw up lot's of new branches, but that will give you the opportunity to shape it & control it's future growth. If successful then in a couple of years when the pruned one starts to fruit for you, repeat the process with the old one.

If doesn't work like tiger says you've got some wood & loads of space to replace & you may get an honest root stock on the new ones!
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks all. I have tried tying some pillowcase sized fleece bags that I made on to some branches in the past. These work ok in dry weather but you get a lot of rotten fruits if it's wet.

I'll risk getting the ladder out tomorrow if the wind and rain have stopped and give it a chop. There's time for any new growth to toughen up before winter if it sends some out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic