Sweetcorn problems

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Healthy looking plants Pawty. Wasn,t there a feature on this topic last year suggesting that bottles or some similar object were put over the very young developing cobs to stop mice or rats climbing up and gnawing away at them?. i seem to remember seeing a photo somewhere. My sweet corn seedlings were going great guns until I planted them out but now seem to have stalled. Possibly the roots are now having to get used to slightly planting different conditions and the varying temperatures have knocked them back a little.
Westi
KG Regular

Good Luck with the mice/rats Pawty!

But glad to see they grew through it! Maybe another one for 'ask the team' what that was that affected them & whether the plants might be too stressed to give you a good harvest? I'm sure you'll think of a way to protect them from the rodents - how good is Mr Pawty at building frames? My neighbour has these netted cages built of timber that are about 6' tall that they put over their sweetcorn - about 6 plants under each. They plant the corn on the end of several beds near the fence & anchor the frame to the fence. Basically a good idea but quite a bit effort but you do have them to use again if you have room to store them over winter!

My 2 plants are in the back garden at home. The cats will ensure the rodents don't win - or so I hope!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic