Sweetcorn problems

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pawty
KG Regular

Thanks all. Compost was a well known brand, no extra feed given. Could be overwatering, but I was very careful not to because of the problems with damping off. Just a sprinkle when dry.

They grew quite quickly in a short time, but not much growth now.

They are outside so will see and update. If I see the centre growing I'll plant them out at the weekend - but bought a new pack earlier, just in case.

This year has certainly seen a few new lessons for me!

Nothing like a good plant mystery!

Pawty
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Noticed these sweetcorn on a neighbouring plot this evening, purchased from a reputable garden centre chain. They look much like yours

DSC_834108.jpg
DSC_834108.jpg (156.28 KiB) Viewed 4399 times

DSC_834209.jpg
DSC_834209.jpg (147.58 KiB) Viewed 4399 times

DSC_834310.jpg
DSC_834310.jpg (132.64 KiB) Viewed 4399 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Hi Everyone,

As I am not growing much I have bought plants, including sweetcorn. Runner Beans, Courgettes, Squash and Toms fine and growing well. The sweetcorn looked good on arrival and I planted them on. Only 8 out of the 16 have survived and the ones that didn't developed this brown rot at the base. Last year had no problems at all. Don't think it is down to watering or the compost but not exactly sure what it is.
robo
KG Regular

After replanting more sweetcorn I noticed today that I've shoots showing I've planted out 2 of the original sowings then put the seed tray on the floor in the pollytunnel out of the way only to find shoots coming up
tigerburnie
KG Regular

sweetcorn under glass.jpg
sweetcorn under glass.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 4380 times

It is early in the season for sweetcorn, it really needs heat and around here it's not consistent. Last year I built a cane frame round my corn and lined it with fleece, not very successful, this year once I got some to germinate it's doing well, but with a minimum temp over night of 10 degrees in the greenhouse.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

Tigerburnie. I'm surprised your plants are so advanced give your northern location. They may stall a little now they're planted out if the night get chilly but they certainly look very healthy.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Tigerburnie. I'm surprised your plants are so advanced give your northern location. They may stall a little now they're planted out if the night get chilly but they certainly look very healthy.

In the greenhouse border Primrose, grew it outside last year wrapped in fleece, which sort of worked, but too windy in my near coastal position for fleece to survive for long.
Primrose
KG Regular

Isn't it amazing that as Gardeners we are always trying to defeat the weather and our individual climatic conditions. It almost becomes a personal challenge to try and prove that we can outbeat nature. Occasionally we get lucky!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Well they're all planted out with the squashes and courgettes. Gone back to bed to have my breakfast and bird watch.
Attachments
20170527_073747.jpg
20170527_073747.jpg (421.9 KiB) Viewed 4351 times
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

A snail had been into the cold frame and been grazing on the sweetcorn by reaching off the lid so they look a bit chewed but they are growing nicely and have good roots so I'll just have to hope they don't get eaten now they're out.

I did notice that I got better germination from the fresh seed than the remains of last year's packet.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

And thereby hangs one answer maybe.

If its shrivelled & wrinkled its chances of germinating are dramatically reduced, younger seed more effective..

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Yes one skin flint up here is going to bin unused seed, it is maybe not worth trying to be "frugal"(other half calls me tight wad !!)
Primrose
KG Regular

Seeds are quite expensive these days and I'm another one who's reluctant to throw away half used seed packets. (After all, I have Scottish ancestors and come from a family where my 85 year old grandmother was still "saving up for her old age so old habits die hard). I think the secret is getting to learn which seeds generally have a better ageing life than others. I think one reason why more of my seeds have failed to germinate this spring is because by seed boxes were stored over winter in our lounge waiting for me to get round to sorting them out. If they'd been stored in a cold garage they might have fared better.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

As an update, I put them outside and gave them some feed - they survived and are ready to be planted out! The dead wilted centres grew out. All they needed was a bit of time and tlc. Now this big question.... will we get cobs (before the mice do!).

Pawty
Attachments
IMG_3573.JPG
IMG_3573.JPG (1002.68 KiB) Viewed 4325 times
Pa Snip
KG Regular

They are looking good Pawty.
Mice get yours !,

you're lucky, many have given up giving the rats a treat on our site

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic