Planting out Swedes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin Miles
KG Regular

Hi Everyone,

Long time since I posted! With just the 2 of us no point in growing lots of veg so just concentrating on getting a few things done well. And one of those this year is sowing Swedes in pots in the greenhouse. Question is, when should I plant them out? They are currently sitting in a seed tray outside the greenhouse and have 2 nice leaves. Don't want to leave them too long. Tried Parsnips one year and that was a disaster but Swedes are supposed to be different.

Colin
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Welcome back Colin. I've not tried growing swedes in pots, I usually sow them directly outside sometime in May. I've found the main problem is not to let them dry out until they get established, so yours should do well if they've had a good start, and now we've got a bit of rain they should be happy planted out.

Watch out for slugs and snails, it had only been raining for half an hour here and they were coming out.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Thanks. When sowing in pots I always like to make sure that there is a good root system before planting out. But with a root veg I am not sure at what point it constitutes a good enough system before it starts to perhaps interfere with the root development. Guess I'll have to experiment and find out. Maybe plant out at different times.
Monika
KG Regular

I agree with Plumpudding - don't let them dry out and I would certainly plant them out now.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I only sowed my seeds the other day, on the packet it says to plant May/June, so plenty of time I would have thought
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Well I decided that I had room to plant out 6 of the 15 pots so we shall see how they survive. One interesting thing here, and I am sure I will regret saying this, is the absence of slugs, snails and bean weevils. I have had my peas and broad beans out for a month now and they usually suffer badly. But only now are there some signs that they might be present. As for the slugs, they aren't even eating the slug pellets I put out for them!
Westi
KG Regular

Careful Colin!

You've said it out loud, I've not seen too many around at lottie but they will be there waiting for this lovely rain we've just had! I had not seen many at home either but they have exposed themselves, dozens climbing the fence this morning!
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

I've only tried growing swede once and I planted direct. They were very small - not sure I left enough space between them after thinning out, but tasted good. Tasted too good in fact - the slugs loved them - litterally ate a whole swede- the slug inside it was the biggest I have ever seen!

Pawty
tigerburnie
KG Regular

The organic farmer near me grows neeps(swedes to me an' you) under fleece to keep off the bugs, don't think that will stop slugs though.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

I have just planted out the remaining 9 Swedes. Seem to be ok as are the 6 I planted out a week ago. Yes - slugs are a problem and last year they did as Pawty said and hollowed out a few. This year I have given them plenty of room and intend to protect them! Slugs still sluggish here and hope they stay that way.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I have the time to collect slugs and snails and squash them, I won't use slug pellets as they can harm other wildlife like thrushes and hedgehogs that eat the poisoned snails and slugs.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

All the Swedes I planted out are flourishing. The earliest pots may be doing slightly better but no real difference. Definitely the best way to grow them
Bussinspain
KG Regular

I sowed my Swede seeds (Best of All) on May 16th individually into cells. Planted out June 9th. They are now developing lovely healthy leaves. I always start my veggies (except parsnips and carrots) off in cells as it is easier to control the moisture out here in Spain.
robo
KG Regular

I normally plant my turnips when the first potatoes are dug up ,I like golden ball or snow ball but also plant Swedes as well
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic