Square or Round Pots

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

Is it important for plants to have either a round or square pot?
Primrose
KG Regular

In my book it's whatever most conveniently comes to hand! I'm not sure that in plant terms there's a definitive "well being" bible But if you're growing a number of plants it's probably best, for convenience to grow in the shape of pots which fits into your pot carrying xo container or tray. That obviously makes it more convenient to move them around.

Personally, I start most of my seedlings off in pots resting on large plastic or melamine trays on a wide bay window sill and my preference would be for square pots because I can fit these on closer together and get more pots on than when using round pots. However this year, as in previous years my tomato and other veggie seedlings have been growing in a mixture of both shapes and I can spot absolutely no difference in growing progress between the two shapes.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

OOH now there's a good question. I've never given it a moments thought. Just grab what I feel is right size for the job.

If Round or Square makes a difference, where do Troughs fit into the equation.

I can't see it does make a difference to the plant itself, since you can visit one nursery and buy a plant in round pot and up the road same plant is for sale in square.

I hate to say this :lol: In this instance I don't think shape is important but using correct size certainly is

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
peter
KG Regular

I don't think the plants care.
Manufacturing a square pot would've taken longer and been more of a challenge historically, potters wheels being the quick and easier method.

But if you're looking at space efficiency or watering without waste I'd recommend square pots. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pa Snip
KG Regular

peter wrote:I
But if you're looking at space efficiency or watering without waste I'd recommend square pots. :D

Good point

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

I thought square pots caused problems with the roots when they hit the corners but round pots allow the roots to grow round in a circle but I may be wrong I read it on the back of a match box a few years ago
peter
KG Regular

robo wrote:I thought square pots caused problems with the roots when they hit the corners but round pots allow the roots to grow round in a circle but I may be wrong I read it on the back of a match box a few years ago

All the square pots I've ever seen have rounded internal corners, admittedly below 1/4" diameter.

Look at where and how some things will grow, take my block paved drive........ everything you can think of with small enough seeds germinates and grows in the gaps between the pavers! :roll:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Robo, there is the new thinking that planting holes for shrubs or trees should now be dug square now, this stop the roots going round and round. The thinking behind this is meant to be, that the roots will hit the corners and more likely to penetrate into the surrounding soil. So the opposite to what you were thinking. I suppose there could be a little benefit for the roots in a square pot to do the same and may help when they are transplanted. I might do a small trial of Runner Beans and see if i can see any difference....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Don't they come up with some daft ideas. If you prepare the soil when you dig the hole the roots will grow into wherever they come into contact. They don't have any concept of corners or circles, so unless you are planting them in concrete-like soil it won't make any difference.

On the subject of round or square pots, I use 5 inch square pots to sow and pot on. They take up less space and I can usually keep the tomatoes for instance in them until they are ready to plant out. I've got some larger round pots for the courgettes but am sure larger square ones would be just as good.

I think the idea about square rather than round comes more to do with what the roots do if they get pot bound, but there's an obvious answer to that.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I'm concerned about the Square plant in a Round pot conundrum

Westi
KG Regular

I can guarantee that the roots will go around in a square pot just like a round pot, many a plant of mine has proved this. Any going around I can handle, it when they all go through the drainage holes at the bottom & you can't get the pot off to plant it out without destroying the pot - & a fair few roots, that is annoying!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic