Yogurt pot propagators

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Monika
KG Regular

Emma in the Kitchen Garden May issue suggests using large yogurt pots as individual propagators. Thinking it was a very good idea, I immediately put it to the test by striking a fuchsia cutting in a mini-pot (with a bit of grit underneath the pot for humidity) and hope it it will root soon. From now on, I will keep all the empties for that purpose ....
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I use them as plant pots, just put a dozen Sweetcorn seeds in the other day, never buy small plant pots nowadays .
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

On a roughly similar basis I collected a number of empty disposable corrugated type brown drinking cups yesterday after a communal meeting which would otherwise have been thrown away in a black bin liner. My thought is that if they're strong enough to hold tea or coffee they will last long enough to pot up seedlings in so am doing a test run with some damp compost. Don't want the darned things to start disintegrating halfway through the process. Every so often at just run out of suitable size pots.
richard p
KG Regular

i also use supermarket mushroom trays as seed trays.... 11 beans per tray.

our local veg shop used to get broccoli in polystyreene boxes... lined with plastic from a compost bag , two mushroom trays fit nicely. half inch of water in the bottom keeps the seedlings watered and a sheet of clear plastic over the top keeps the mice out.
Primrose
KG Regular

I use a large polystyrene tray for growing my salad pea shoots in. It has no drainage holes but I find a one inch layer of compost with the dried Whitworth peas sprinkled on top is fine for germinating and growing them. I just keep the compost reasonably moist and this arrangement works well. I did one night accidentally leave the tray out on the patio in the rain and it got flooded but I just drained the surplus water out and the peas went on growing!
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

I've just re purposed three of the big growmore tubs. Cut holes in the bottom and placed some large stone from the lotty in it. Filled them with compost from the compost bin and sprinkled with some wild flower seed I got sent (BBC I think?). So, for free, I'm hoping to create my own little bee sanctuary, which can be moved around as needed.

Pawty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic