Raspberries

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Binky
KG Regular

Two new canes on my summer fruiting raspberries (Glen Ample) have red leaves. The rest are green, as usual. The plants are six years old and have never had red leaves before. Should I worry about this? Cut them out? Or just leave them and see what happens?
John
KG Regular

Hello Binky
Red leaves on most plants is usually a sign of a lack of potassium - though I can't find any reports for this in raspberries. Do you feed your plants? I always sprinkle some good handfuls of fish blood and bone down my row of rasps. This is slow release and will last them for the season. It is likely to be a nutrient deficiency of some sort so a quick fix would be to give the plants a good watering of a soluble tomato feed. This not too high in nitrogen which would encourage a lot of soft leaf growth.
Hope this helps.
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Geoff
KG Regular

Unfortunately I think it can be an early sign of root rot, though I can't find a reference to it causing red foliage. Are they next to each other? If so keep a close eye on the next one. If not hope John is right and feeding will sort them out. It wiped out my Glen Ample.

http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/image/data/pdf ... ieback.pdf
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic