Sweet potatoes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I'm considering buying some sweet potato slips (again)

The planting information says to plant them in a sunny site, in rich soil up a trellis. I've grown them before in the greenhouse border with mixed results. Some were a usable size but a lot were little straggly things. I haven't really got a sunny sheltered place in the garden that would be cosy enough.

Has anyone had a worthwhile crop of sweet potatoes outdoors or in the greenhouse and what did you do to get the best results?

I've looked at previous posts about growing them but none seem very successful.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Put me in the unsuccessful camp.
All have been small size and very few of them.
Our climate just does not seem right for them.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Hi PP!

I've had no luck from bought slips, but had a reasonable year from growing my own slips a wee while ago. This year I did the old toothpick thing early on a warm window sill to get an early start, but absolutely nothing and it's been pampered for 2 months or so. Started another one beginning of last week & fine roots already showing - both were supposed to be organic but I think the first one wasn't & had some growth inhibitor sprayed on it. I have started building my hot bed just to see if I can get a good crop from these, but think it will be a lost cause, but will see!

They actually aren't expensive to buy so not too angsty, just a personal challenge! And will be growing a melon with them so not a wasted hotbed- well if someone drops off fresh manure soon it won't be!
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Yes Westi, I grew mine from a shop bought one last time but this year's effort didn't sprout. There were some interesting looking purple ones on the Marshall's website which I thought about trying but it would be more an interesting challenge than anything else.
Geoff
KG Regular

I tried them in the polytunnel from commercial plants that I was given and declared them a waste of time not to try again.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I don't think I'll bother again then. I was hoping someone might have had some luck with them. I'll save my money and time and buy them from the supermarket☺
John
KG Regular

Oops - ordered some slips a few weeks ago and waiting for a delivery. Doesn't sound as though they are worth bothering with. I'll give them a try as I've spent the money. Always like to try one or two new things each year.
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Westi
KG Regular

On number 3 sweet potato & finally have a strong root growth, no slips yet & likely to be too little, too late but maybe another Indian Summer might get me a few wee ones for stews.
westisp2.jpg
westisp2.jpg (172.88 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

I think I am about to post another on it's side pic - but I've got slips! Well excited as will get a crop of some sort -hopefully! Haven't got a clue about how to turn pic right side up so bear with me, phone knows it's right way up so won't let me rotate it!

westisp1.jpg
westisp1.jpg (236.48 KiB) Viewed 5076 times

OK they are tiny but they are real!
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Looks promising Westi. They grow quite fast when the weather warms up don't they. I was wondering how the water stayed in the jar when I first saw the pictures, thought you'd got a new method :-D
giaur500
KG Regular

Most sweet potato varieties need not less than 90 days of summer, ideally temperature should not fall below 15 °C. Some others need not lass than 110-120 days. It grows best when temperature is higher than 20 °C and completly stops when it's colder than 15 °C. In theory, that should be possible to get some results in some regions of Holland/UK if you grow your plants indoor and move them outdoor when they're mature, although don't expect any impressive crop.

Worst thing, you never know which variety you are buying in the market if you want to grow slips by yourself, most bulbs look the same or similar and also it's hard to get them sprout (it takes very long time to start)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic