grapes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tigerburnie
KG Regular

I don't think many folk grow vines from seed, certainly don't recall seeing any for sale.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Sorry, not aware of any - we usually take cuttings or you can buy small vines (disease resistant root stock). Are you planning to grow lots of vines?

If you really want to try from seed I suppose you could just buy grapes ..... although I would really try and get some small vines if I were you.

Pawty
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I agree with Pawty, you'll get a much stronger plant in a short time by planting a cutting they root very easily. I once germinated some grape seeds from a delicious grape that had a strawberry flavour from a market in Madeira, but they were rather weedy plants and never really got going.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Abbie!

Obviously as they produce seed they will grow from them but it may be a long term investment & you may not reap the reward you want quick enough to get a good crop. I'm no expert, but make friends with someone who grows some who may give you cuttings to root on, but it is too late now, so stay friendly for a bit! :)
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Will it allow me to post so soon? Is that a little like button appearing at the bottom of our posts! Gonna try it anyway as feeling frivolous! It works! Thank you KG!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic