Padron Peppers

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Mr Markey
KG Regular

Having become addicted to Padron Peppers as a summer tapas treat, I had a go at growing my own in my polytunnel.
And I was successful, at least in terms of number of fruits. The problem was, after a couple of initial delicious crops, the peppers grown became hot...too hot. With Padrons you always get the occasional hot one but these were all hot and we couldn't enjoy them.
I was also growing hot chillis in the same tunnel so is it possible I got cross pollination?

Any advice would be welcome :D
snooky
KG Regular

Hi Mr Markey,
Cross pollination would only affect the seeds inside the pepper and not the flesh of the pepper,unless you did not de-seed before cooking or eating raw and the heat came from the seeds because of cross pollination.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

I've grown padron before (delicious fried in olive oil with lots of crystal salt - yum). I found that on a plant you would get the occasional hot one. It was a bit like playing Russian roulette as to who would get the hot one... and you had to finish the plate! Sorry, not much help, but I think with Padrons, you do get a bit of mix of hot and mild. could it be that the hotter ones are the ones left on the plant for longer (as is the case with lots of chillies?)

Pawty
Mr Markey
KG Regular

Thanks Fellas,
I shall be trying them again this year. They are delicious when not too hot!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic