Globe Artichokes

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

My artichokes are well established but this year I noted even when small the artichoke scales were pretty tough, too tough to cook small & whole which is how I like them & I can't be bothered with sucking the big scales. Is there a recommended life span for artichokes? I'm only asking as the weather has had a strange effect on other plants - my spring cabbages planted near enough a year ago are just hearting up, took a small Savoy on Wed.

I'd say they are about 10 years old - time to replace?

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Mine have been a disaster this year Westi. They got through the winter and we're growing well then they got ravaged by slugs. They sent two puny shoots up which like yours were small and tough. I don't think it's an age thing with mine even though they are a few years old. I'm going to give them a good feed and increase the slug protection and see how they do next year before chucking them out if they are still poor.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi PP!

On reflection after posting, I realise they should last almost indefinitely as technically you get a new plant every year. Mine were up early as it was so mild & damp, but then stagnated, so this may have been the problem. Will give them another chance. I've got some very close to flowering & that's the other reason I grow them - the bees love them and they do look majestic.

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Yes Westi, mine are in the herbaceous border, so I enjoy the flowers even if I don't get a crop.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

I started some globe artichokes off from seed last year and put the plants in the allotment. I had a look earlier and there is absolutely no sign of them. Do they completely die back over winter - should there be a small sign of them, or is it likely they have died or been eaten?

Might have to start some more off .....

Thanks

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

Mine did that when young Pawty, just disappeared, but now they hold onto smallish leaves right through winter, but I still mulch them up well.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic