Heeling in strawberries

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Barry
KG Regular

I want to acquire some Rosie strawberry plants to put in mid-March.

I am after Rosie plants. Firstly, does anybody know of a mail order company selling these?

Secondly, if they arrive now - and I think ordering them asap is a good idea because there don't appear to be many suppliers - can I heel them in? If so, how long can they be left in a temporary position in a bed?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

hi Barry

Cant answer the first part of your question.

Can tell you that I have just finished digging up my strawberry bed, given away over 100 Cambridge Favourite (good for jam making with good general use taste )to fellow plot holders. The rest I have put on the compost heap after selecting new growth plants for my new smaller beds of 58 plants.

I have planted mine into growing position but they have heeled them in on basis of getting them into growing position by mid March latest Its all subject to weather really but most strawberries are determined to survive if not planted too deep or in frosty soil. Avoid really wet ground as well

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

I think I would prefer to pot them up and possibly protect them a bit then plant permanently as they start to grow.
Barry
KG Regular

The "best" price I can find for 10 plants is an eye-watering £26.00. I can get 25 Christine plants for a tenner, but want the Rosies!

Nobody seems to stock them in a mail order capacity, despite them being recommended as an early.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:I think I would prefer to pot them up and possibly protect them a bit then plant permanently as they start to grow.

Good thinking Geoff

Barry
I just carried out a google search for 'Rosie Strawberry Plants' and this is the result

First result on the list was .... http://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/product/straw-rosie/ 5 plants £9.95
10 plants £18.95, 20 plants £32.00

Cheaper prices for larger quantities also shown. This supplier seems about the average price of a strawberry plant to me.
Mind you, I think strawberry plants are generally overpriced anyway

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Barry
KG Regular

Hi Pa Snip,

Chris Bowers, I seem to remember, was an even more expensive alternative, once P&P is added in.

More common varieties retail at around £1.00 per plant, so why are Rosies so expensive?! I guess because they are relatively new.

I was able to find two other sources only on line: one was OOS and the other was just slightly cheaper. I looked at several nurseries that sell a good range of strawberry plants, but nobody seems to stock Rosie, despite it being top of many taste tests.

Hence, I am wondering whether anybody knows of other on line nurseries that might have them. Believe me, I have trawled the Net and not found that many,..

Regards

Barry
Primrose
KG Regular

Well if you are a patient man, perhaps it's cheaper to buy just a few plants this year and generate all the remainder of the plants you need feom their runners next year?
Not sure why the plants are so expensive when the parent plants usually generate them fairly prolifically .
Barry
KG Regular

Hey, Primrose, that's a clever reply. How patient am I...?
Barry
KG Regular

In the end, I bought 10 from John's Market Garden for 25.90 delivered, which was the best price I could get. I shall then take Primrose's suggestion and breed them from runners.

In the meantime, they are going in flower pots until I can get the ground ready, which won't be until mid-March at this rate.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Barry

I agree, that P & P of £8.95 charged by Chris Bowers is OTT

Barry
KG Regular

The Rosies duly arrived - camouflaged in a LED garden spotlight box!!! - and, as suggested above, I planted them out in pots.

I had luck, too, the plants arrived in a clump (really odd, that) and, when I teased them apart, found I actually had 13 and not 10. I suppose that means I can afford to lose three...

Thinking about it, I won't get any fruit off this year's plants anyway, so it doesn't matter if they have to spend some time before going in their final bed, which probably won't be ready for about a month.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic