Growing onions from seed?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

sarahscottdavies
KG Regular

Good morning all :D

This is my 1st attempt at growing onions from seed. It's started off well. Planted them in seed trays on warm windowsills end of December. About 3 weeks ago I transplanted them into individual small pots and put them in an out house. Its not heated but it is frost free and they seem to be doing ok. Only thing is the light levels arent too great in there and I would like to move them to my greenhouse. Trouble is this isn't heated so I was wondering if they will be ok and would survive a frost (as i'm sure they'll be a few more before the spring arrives), or should I leave them in the frost free outhouse? I'd hate to lose them to a frost now and have to shell out for onion sets.
Geoff
KG Regular

I grow all my Onions from seed but I have never put them in a cold greenhouse this early, I have them in a frost free one. Having said that, I think they will be perfectly OK provided you can fleece them on the coldest nights, particularly at first. I would think the better light would be such an advantage it would be worth it. You could always do half and half.
George Gray
KG Regular

Well after many years of disappointing crops from onion and shallot sets I have grown them both from seed for the last four years and generally been pleased with the results. It's also cheaper and you get a much wider range of varieties to try.
I would sow them indoors about now and wait until they are about and inch high before putting them in the cold greenhouse. They are fairly slow growing so that would be about mid to late March. They are moderately frost tolerant - but protect them if it threatens!
George the Pigman
sarahscottdavies
KG Regular

Hi and thank you both for tips. Yes I think I'll try half and half. Did that with my citrus trees (and delighted to say they survived the unheated greenhouse.)I too find onion sets disappointing and expensive. Most my onions now are at least as long as my middle finger if not longer :D
Redfox
KG Regular

my onion seedlings are in a cold greenhouse, however they are also covered with clear propagator lids for extra protection. I have done this for 4 yrs now and always have a good crop,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic