blossom out of sync ?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

My pear tree blossomed as usual in spring and that crop ripened a couple of weeks ago, then in july it blossomed on the tips and those fruits are about half size now. Last year the apple trees blossomed again in autumn on the tips, has anyone else noticed anything similar?
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Natures Babe, this does happen from time to time with fruit trees, but i have noticed it happening a lot more since we have had the very mild Winters, last Winter not included.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Thank you OH, yes, a possibility. I had wondered if the mild winters were to blame, but then last winter was quite a freeze up, maybe that or the earlier arrival of spring and later frosts in autumn perhaps?
Last edited by Nature's Babe on Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
Primrose
KG Regular

Just noticed that one of my rhododendrons has got a few flowers on it. Poor thing is most confused!
glallotments
KG Regular

Our rosemary is in full flower again
The Mouse
KG Regular

And my delphiniums are back in flower. :?
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Bert, with your delphiniums, if you cut them right down as soon as they have finished flowering, give them a good soak and a feed, and you will get a second flush of flowers each year.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
The Mouse
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Dear Bert, with your delphiniums, if you cut them right down as soon as they have finished flowering, give them a good soak and a feed, and you will get a second flush of flowers each year.

Dear OH,

I (nearly) always cut them down after flowering, but never had more than the odd flower or two in autumn, before. But maybe you hit on the answer with the 'good soak'. They have had rather a lot of 'good soaks' this year! :)
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Noticed some flowers on my strawberry plants today - and they are not in the greenhouse ! :)
By Thomas Huxley
glallotments
KG Regular

I heard an explanation that as autumn days are of the same length as early spring days the length of daylight can trigger spring plants to flower in autumn - I also guess with similar temperatures too this could be even more likely to happen.
Last edited by glallotments on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

That sounds logical gallotments, quite possibly why the strawbs are in flower now, however it doesn't explain blossom on the pear in July and fruits getting quite large on the tree now,two thirds normal size second crop .... LOL
By Thomas Huxley
Elaine
KG Regular

My ornamental cherry has blossom as well as fruits, the pieris is flowering and so are some of the strawberries. I just noticed this morning that the Kerria Japonica is also flowering.
Cheers.
Happy with my lot
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Hi Elaine,and my cape gooseberry is still flowering, glad to know its not just mine being a bit peculiar. :wink:
By Thomas Huxley
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

The grape vine lost all its leaves after the first frost the night before last,
but my russet apple is in blossom on the tips :!:
By Thomas Huxley
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic