Easy Parsley and Basil

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

There was an article in KG that suggested that parsley could not be transplanted.

It can be very easily.

You know when you've sown a tray of parsley and wait and wait and nothing appears? Two years running I've given up hope and in order to get a parsley crop, I've bought a nice fresh supermarket pot of parsley, watered it and carefully separated the seedlings and potted them up individually, and then when I've got about 20 start putting them in small bunches into pots.

They all grow beautifully, and then when you've got 20 or so nice little plants, guess what, your tray of seeds will spring into life and you'll have more parsley than you know what to do with - brilliant!

The other thing is what to do with basil that has gone leggy.

A friend in Crete suggested breaking off the tops about 2 - 3 inches long below a leaf joint, pinching out the tips if they are making flower buds, and putting them in a glass of water on the windowsill. In a few days they will all have rooted and you can pot them up individually and have fresh new plants. You can keep doing this all winter - as soon as they start looking a bit straggly repeat the process.
Primrose
KG Regular

Plumpudding - I never have success sowing and germinating parsley, so I think I'll try your method with a supermarket pot and see if I have better luck.
Snapping off the top shoots of basil and letting them root in water is a wonderful way of continually generating new plants. I've been doing this for years and recommending it to my friends. They can't believe how quickly and easily it works. The only problem I find is that all the whitefly in the area seem to gravitate to my kitchen during winter and whatever method I use to try and ward them off, the plants often get overtaken by them.
kwa50
KG Regular

I too had so much trouble to get parsley to grow from seed. But guess what - it did and now I planted it into my garden and it is thriving. Hope it survives the winter though....

kwa50
www.craftchallenge.co.uk
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Plumpudding,
To really be successful with germinating Parsley you need a heated propagator. It doesn't take much heat but it must be constant at 15C (60F). I have a propagator with thermostat made from an old 'Iced Diamond' refrigerator with allows no light in. I used to sow in 576 module trays by filling the tray full then tamping down with a stiff hand brush very lightly then mass sowing the seed then sifting some compost over the top. Do not tamp this any further. Mist spray until well moistened, not saturated, put into propagator and after a week check to see if anything has sprouted. If you have any, what I call, wispy germination's (due to lack of light) leave in propagator for another day and then remove and place the trays in full light on the bench and within a week to ten days the entire tray will have germinated and be very verdant. Mist water as required.
I used to do 7 trays at a time and sold literally thousands mail order and to the retail trade. I do not understand this bit about you cannot transplant Parsley because you can and it transplants beautifully.
For best results it is best to pot on from small modules to 8cm terracotta continental round pots and when the roots show plant out on the plot or into large pots as you require.
When you mass sow you get several germination's per cell. Do not try splitting them up at this stage as it works on the survival of the fittest principle.
JB.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

I've been reasonably successful with parsley, but that's a great idea about the basil, PP. Thanks.

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
kranser
KG Regular

I wanted to make some cuttings from my basil, so I yanked off a few fresh stems close to the base of the plant, and was surprised to find that they were already rooted!

The main plant has had it and has gone to seed. My question is will the rooted stems survive indoors over winter - or does basil need special care so that it can be grown over winter?
Primrose - did you need to do anything special to your basil or did it survive the winter except for the whitefly?

Thanks,
Kranser.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The Basil over winters very well on a sunny windowsill, or anywhere light but not cold. If mine gets whitefly I hold the tops under water in the sink until they come off, but you need to be gentle or you damage the leaves.

I have some on the kitchen windowsill so it's handy for cooking. When they look a bit worse for wear just take more cuttings and start again.
George Gray
KG Regular

Has anyone had any success growing basil indoors in winter = or is there not enough light?
George the Pigman
Monika
KG Regular

I have tried it, George, but it didn't work, presumably because of the lack of light, as you say. Now I try to keep my summer-grown basil as long as possible, then buy a small port of basil from the supermarket which tends to keep well for at least three weeks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic