BUTTERNUTS NOW ?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Wellie
KG Regular

With the weather getting that decided 'nip' in the air now, I'm tempted to cut the Butternut Squashes off of their vines (with T-Handle !).
I did start them early this year, and they have gone that lovely pinky-hue that denotes they've 'cured' on their vines. Whilst a mild frost might damage the foliage, I'm of the opinion not to in any way 'risk' the matured fruits...
Like John, I'm West Gloucestershire, and we're still fairly reasonably 'mild' yet.

Enough already? or shall I leave them a while longer ?
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
peter
KG Regular

Wellie, I've cleared my entire squash patch and got the majority in the greenhouse.

If I were you I'd pull them in, just in case the vanishing leaves make the light-fingered brigade aware of their presence.

Also consider the rodent menace.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Wellie
KG Regular

Oh, Peter !!
How could you call my lovely cat a 'Rodent Menace'?
You should see her now, crossing your name off her Christmas Card List, as I write.... I'm sorry mate, you've completely blown it for this year.....

No, I'd hardly be worried either.

I'm thinking that my beautiful B.C. takes care of the menacing rodents, and slugs seem to be more interested in the late maturing Florence Fennel and JB's late sown Early Nantes.
So Harvest then it is I fancy ....
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Wellie
KG Regular

I have the pleasure of kitchen gardening right outside my kitchen door, so unlike you allotment growers, I find that my produce remains my own for the entirety of its life.
Which was nice.........!
Allan
KG Regular

Gloucestershire is about 5 miles away.You are not far from our 'farm' so the weather cannot be all that different.I would say that any gain now would be so marginal compared with the risk of losing them to frost when it comes that it is prudent to play safe and cut them off now.
Allan
John
KG Regular

Hello Wellie
I cleared my squash patch about ten days ago, mainly because most of the foliage had finally gone down with mildew. I've now got them up on a low wall to finish hardening off their skins. Depending on the weather I'll try to keep them there for a few more weeks before I get them in under cover.
I think the time has come for you to get them up of the ground at least and put them somewhere to finally toughen up the skins. You can eat them now - this drying off business is just so that they will keep for several months hopefully!

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Wellie
KG Regular

8) We had a very cold start here today, and then it turned into a beautifully sunny and blue-skied day, so I did indeed harvest them....
The smallest wee one weighed in at 150 grammes (bless !) and the biggest I managed was 1.1 kilos.
I'm thrilled with all of them, and no surface damage, maybe because I grew them 'upwards' rather than on the ground.... so they should store well too.
Thank you for your advice.
Trevor Holloway
KG Regular

Checked mine yesterday and found some "new" green fruits 2 - 3" long.

Shall I harvest the orange ones and leave the green ones there, will they ripen off the plant ?
Wellie
KG Regular

Mine have got little embryonic green fruits too ! Best to cut them soon and use them as you would courgette, as they won't ripen on or off the plant at this late stage. And a frost would damage them...
Tigger
KG Regular

I harvested mine last weekend and cleared the bed ready for it's duvet of manure this weekend.
jopsy
KG Regular

can i ask how many you get from each plant?
i'm thinking of growing these next year as lily loves them, and they cost a fortune to buy!
"Happiness is the sense that one matters"
peter
KG Regular

Jopsy, do try Crown prince as well.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

vicki
KG Regular

me too Jopsy, and they make scrummy soup but as ou say they are sooo pricey! How many plants do you need?
Smiling is infectious....
peter
KG Regular

Jopsy, if I don't post the area I planted, with a guestimate of the numer of plants and the total number of squashes sitting in the garage & greenhouse by this time tomorrow night then nag me.

Please note, on my plot the butternuts did very badly this year, so it will be veg-spag and crown prince numbers.

Wellie
KG Regular

Peter, I've heard so much about Crown Prince.... What's so fabulous about it, and why should I grow it next year?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic