Fresh lawn clipping as mulch

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Have been battling with very dry soil here recently so as lawns were due for cutting today have watered veg growing area, cut the grass and put the clippings on as mulch. A friend has.disagreed with me that this is a wise thing to do because of spreading weed seeds but I don,t use chemicals on lawn and the only weed it has is clover.

So, right or wrong ? What do you all do with your lawn clippings? Do they always go in your compost heap?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose wrote: What do you all do with your lawn clippings? Do they always go in your compost heap?

Yes.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The mowings from the bottom lawn go either in the compost heap or on the herbaceous border the ones from the middle lawn go under the small shrubs in the rockery and the ones from the top lawn mulch the blackcurrant bush.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

3 lawns !!!! which one is fine cut for croquet :D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Grass cuttings on their own can get slushy and not nice, I don't use 'em for mulch, but do add it in layers in the compost bin
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

I dry mine off a bit then use them. Never fresh as they go slimy if fresh I've found, but needs must & if all Your beds are a bit dry they will keep the moisture in & you will deal with the weeds or slime as it occurs - but your crop will appreciate the moisture & extra warmth!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I don,t think I've ever had the mulch go slimey. I hoed off the weeds from the surface and watered. This left the soil surface a little craggy so the grass decomposes fairly quickly and obviously some gets pulled in by the worms. The rest dries out fairly quickly but does form a thin protective laye against weeds and moisture loss.
robo
KG Regular

I would have thought if the grass is dry before you cut it should be ok but if it's wet it's going to go slimy
Geoff
KG Regular

I have a holding heap where I collect stuff for composting; weeds, cut down plants, kitchen waste, other suitable household waste. When I cut the grass I uncover the active heap(s) - I use carpet - give it as good a stirring up as I can with a fork then build it up in layers using grass, shredded paper, torn up cardboard, stuff from the holding heap and comfrey. If it is a bit dry I water it then cover it up again. I have six composting bays over a cubic metre each. If a heap hasn't worked very well I may recycle it into new heaps like using the holding bay. I cut a lot of grass and this takes over half what I cut. Some I do use directly as a mulch on an area where I grow a few Christmas trees but I don't use any directly on the garden. The rest just gets heaped up and eventually spread under some shrubs.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Geoff,
If a compost heap fails stinging nettle, minus the seedhead, at the base is a very good method of generating heat to initiate degredation and save the day.
JB.
JohnN
KG Regular

I put my lawn clippings (quit a lot) on the compost heap, together with some barley straw, as recommended by Johnboy. Problem is I suspect I might have been sold a bale of WHEAT straw this year as the girl in the farm store wasn't sure. How do I tell, and does it make any difference? Thanks for any info.
Geoff
KG Regular

Looks like nobody knows.
From the composting point of view I would think there is little difference.
As for recognition, I think wheat straw is slightly paler, slightly softer and the stems are a bit flatter. There are probably some ears amongst it so you could look for the spiky bits for barley.

Ears.jpg
Ears.jpg (46.64 KiB) Viewed 7625 times
JohnN
KG Regular

Thanks, Geoff. Looks like wheat straw to me.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi John,
It doesn't matter which straw you use and as we grow Barley I said Barley but I really meant just straw. Masses of grass can almost liquify and the straw helps to prevent this and a foul smelling mess.
JB.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

It's all been said already though I would like too add that I don't miss an opportunity to dry grass cutting then mix them into soil that needs help. I have such a healthy weed bank that grasses aren't going to make much difference to the weed collection.

Some parts of my garden have improved a lot by the inclusion of dried grasses though I'm scared to use cut grasses at the moment because the lawn fertiliser I'm using has an additive FE and something else I don't recognise.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic