Website survey - sowing basil seeds

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Just filled in the survey on the website and watched the video on sowing basil seeds.

I noticed the lady demonstrating the process returned the remaining surplus unsown seeds in her hand back to the seed packet. I,ve never seen any advice on the advisability of doing this or otherwise although I imagine many of us do it. Would sweat, moisture or dirt on hands affect the remaining seeds in the packet and reduce their shelf life do you think?
Westi
KG Regular

Absolutely I'd say, but guilty as charged!

Interesting point Primrose! I have actually found some packets of seeds that I sow successionally are a bit furry by the end of the season & germination is not as good! I had thought it was just not prime time but also noted it should still be OK, but thought did cross my mind it was my fault as I do tend to lick my finger to pick up a few seeds at a time!
Westi
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Westi,
to avoid soil contamination of the seed packet I usually fill and tamp all my seed trays and before I before start sowing I will wipe my hands. After sowing all the seeds I need I will cover the seeds with compost or vermiculite then water. I use the mist setting on my hose from a height and this works really well.
I have no problem with returning seeds to their packet doing things this way.
Regards Sally Wright.
Westi
KG Regular

I'm OK with the tray sowing but seem to lack control with the outdoor successional sowing Sally!

Been there all day, then decide to take a harvest before leaving, then think I will just quickly sow along that gap. Sweaty, muddy, sticky & fat fingered - not a good combo for keeping the packs clean, but they only have one Summer in them & common types, so not too precious! :)
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Also guilty. Always return seed to a pack after they've been in my (probably filthy) hands. I have thought that it's probably not good for the seeds, but usually to late. Funny isn't it - we worry about how to store seed, use by dates etc .... and then we're all guilty of this!

I'd like to say I won't do it this year.... but I think I already have.

Pawty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic