Top tips to start seed off

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Hi Pawty!

I think I agree with Johnboy! My only surviving greenhouse cucumber was sulking big time, but my grafted tomatoes were in flower so I mixed up the tom feed & just watered it on the whole lot of pots. The little sad cucumber has perked up along with my aubergine which was also on strike!

Nothing to loose!
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Westi wrote:
Nothing to loose!
le trec, That'll be cos I don't believe he was a gardener by profession

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
mayjorblayke
KG Regular

Pawty wrote:Hi,

Just starting to plan what to grow this year at the allotment. I don't have a greenhouse so have to start seed off in windowsills and my cold frame so space can be a bit of an issue ( especially with two naughty cats who have made there mission in life to knock everything I grow on the floor).To save space and maximise germination does anyone have any top tips?
crossword solver sip calculator
I just read KGs December edition and noticed that rob starts parsnips off on damp kitchen paper which is then placed in ziplock bag - and says it saves space and you can see when the seed germinates. He then plants all the germinated seed into invidual pots. What a great idea! Do you think this method would work for other seeds?

Beans I'll probably continue growing in root trainers as have been quite successful. Broad beans go straight in ground. Tomatoes and chillies i tend to put 5 -10 seeds in a pot and place in propagator in the windowsill.

Any and all tips would be much appreciated.

Pawty
plants always seem to catch up with the earlier sown ones without any detriment. Germination is never the problem but then keeping the seedlings light and warm enough before they go out, so, this year I am definitely, definitely, definitely not going to start early .......
judyk
KG Regular

I always use the damp paper method for peas, courgettes and squashes, and I suspect it's a good idea for most big seeds with a hard thick coat. If I can get them I use plastic or polystyrene supermarket yoghurt or cream pots with a translucent snap-on lid, and put the seeds in the bottom between a couple of layers of damp kitchen paper. The lid keeps the paper damp and lets some light through, which I like to think helps the seeds to work out which way is up, and allows you to see if anything is sprouting. It needs to be in a warm spot to avoid mould, and you need to check the kitchen paper regularly and keep it damp. The plus is that it also makes good use of the pots and keeps them out of landfill.
Westi
KG Regular

I was advised by a clever chap you can check your parsnip seeds prior to sowing to ensure they have an embryo showing (a wee spot) & put on damp paper towels will be a double check it is viable as you will get a wee root, so you get no gaps in your row! I can report it works well as I also had to move them to get the tunnel erected last year & they were just fine without forking, but they were tiny. No plans for moving them next year but deffo going to check each seed for the 'spot'! I was pretty amazed at how many didn't.
Westi
Carolcarrot
KG Regular

I always sprout seeds in special sells, cover them with cling film with small holes. Place them on the windowsill in the kitchen, where my cat can't get them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic