Tip for shrink on tops for wine bottles

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've just found a quick way of putting these on the bottles after putting the corks in home made wine.

In the past I've used the steam method and the hair dryer but both take ages and leave creases.

Today I boiled a pan of water, put the cap on the bottle and dipped it in the boiling water for a second or two. Result perfect fit instantly.

Ten professional looking bottles of white currant wine in less than a minute.
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Will you send, or must I collect my bottle? :lol:
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I'm saving the white currant for a while, but have plenty of 2015 vintage red currant. You'll have to call in :)
Westi
KG Regular

I don't make wine or anything like that but have supped on friends offerings - sometimes to great expense of my personal health! This is another thing on my to do when retired list though!

I can't even imagine what you are describing - what are shrink on tops? You mention cork so does it go over these somehow? Sorry forgive my ignorance, just pure interest makes me ask PP.

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Hi Westi,

When you buy a bottle of wine if it has a cork there is a metal seal over it. Home made wines use a plastic cover instead to seal it and stop the cork from drying out. You have to heat it to shrink it on. This way is so quick and easy compared to the recommended ways I've tried before and has a much better finish.

You can make some very good wines from surplus fruit, I've tried most. Pear wine was lovely, pale pink and quite sweet, but potent, as was the cherry. My guests and family slept for two hours after two glasses of the cherry one Sunday afternoon! Another favourite is sparkling cider. I find plum wine a bit too acidic but you can add things to control that. It is very easy and fun to do. I find that I have a mainly jam making year alternating with a wine making year.
Westi
KG Regular

Cheers PP!

Better idea now. I just had a shrink wrap thing in my head & couldn't see past it! One more question - when you buy the bottles do they come with all of this or do you order separately?

Westi
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

I'll ask my mother in law how she does this .... I should know - bad me . I suspect it involves a gadget .... But I wont the electric bill for 10 k bottles!

Pawty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic