First Frost winter 2016

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

First frost of the year last night - I live in ruralish south Hampshire.

Pawty
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Hi Pawty, we've had two frosty mornings this week, but the nastirtiums are still ok so it wasn't a keen frost. White over on cars, roofs and grass yesterday though.
Geoff
KG Regular

Same here. Just a ground frost or in modern parlance grass frost. Dahlias and nasturtiums still standing. Grey damp miserable today compared to the last few days.
Monika
KG Regular

It's interesting to read about the nasturtiums: those at the bottom of our allotment, where a dry stone wall prevents the frost from rolling further down the hill, were clearly killed by yesterday morning's frost whereas those at home, on the flat, are still merrily flowering. I think it's the northerly wind in the days to come which will dictate the temperatures.
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

First frost here in Kent (within M25) this morning -only in the 'back' garden, not the small front 'lawn' yet. Getting the garden ready for winter now...

Slugs - can you hear me? - your time is counted, the end is nigh... bye bye :mrgreen:
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Westi
KG Regular

First frost on lottie overnight here at the seaside - glad the neighbour took photos of the dahlias, they are not quite slime, but nearly. Nasturtiums are at that see through phase, so will be gone when it rains tomorrow. Massive leaf fall from the fruit trees & hedge row, 2 bags collected already.

No frost at home as yet, but won't be long! But hey, it's November, been pretty lucky really.

Westi
Westi
Diane
KG Regular

We had a slight frost in our south facing front garden on Thursday morning ...I could see it on the grass..but amazingly the cosmos and other summer bedding look fine. Today they're still fresh and blooming.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic