sprouts

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

On a slightly different slant on sprouts, what colour sprouts do you like to see on your plate for Christmas lunch. I don't seem to be able to grow them well so this morning my husband bought a stalk of purple ones for Christmas. I somehow can't enthuse about purple ones with orange carrots for Christmas Day so have been out and bought a stalk of nice little green ones which aesthetically seem to me to be much more pleasing.

So Question 1 for you all, green or purple for you at Christmas?
And Question 2'. What to do imaginatively with a load of extra sprouts, except freeze them?
Beryl
KG Regular

Primrose I grew purple ones one year and they go green on cooking. Red Ball I think they were called. Steaming might keep a bit more colour. I prefer the traditional green.

Beryl.
Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks OH, a much better deal with 50 seeds to the packet.

Beryl.
robo
KG Regular

Early in the year we had a load of French beans I gave my mate 3 plots down enough for two feeds each week then the yellow ones were ready I gave him them he said the taste was the same but they did not look right on his plate I told him if he wasn't happy to paint them
Beryl
KG Regular

Yellow keep their colour better than the purple beans though Robo but I agree again no difference in taste. We do like to try though don't we?

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic