Cooking apples

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

In the Nov. issue of TKG, The Three Muskateers, Bumper Harvest. Steve Ott has asked for our favourite cooking apple. Mine is Rev Wilks. This is a delicious all round cooking apple one which I find far superior to the Bramley. Cooks lovely fluffy apple sauce, many desserts as well as pies etc. Large fruits, stores well.

Beryl.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

My favourite is Newton Wonder. It has a lovely colour texture and flavour when cooked and can be used as an eater when fully ripe. It also keeps very well.
Geoff
KG Regular

I haven't read the magazine yet, came today. Although I like my Bramleys I think Lane's Prince Albert is just better, mainly because it is more reliable and if there are any left you can eat them late on. What's not to like about a tree that blossoms like this.

IMG_3587_R.jpg
IMG_3587_R.jpg (450.2 KiB) Viewed 3669 times
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Beryl,
peasgood nonsuch for me, It is ready in August and is not good after about the middle of October but it freezes really well and is available for my blackberries that ripen in August and for packing out any chutneys that need apple. It makes a good apple sauce that will jar very well; I flavour mine with all sorts of combinations once it has got to setting point. ie thyme, sage, chilli and thai basil; what ever you fancy really.
They are really big semi sweet apples that are smooth and easy to peel, the small ones are good for baking (the largest can weigh over a pound so they can be a lot more than your five a day!). It can be a bit biennial bearing if you don't thin to one or two fruits per cluster but other than that a vary reliable cropper.
Regards Sally Wright
Beryl
KG Regular

Hello Sally, I always value your opinion so I am sure Steve Ott will too. I hadn't heard of Peasgood nonsuch, just had a quick Google to look it up. Sounds delicious. I think he is going to be hard pushed to choose from so many varieties available now we are spoilt for choice. Too late for me to be planting any more trees but I do have Charles Ross as well, which if left to fully ripen is good for eating as well as cooking but not a good keeper.

Geoff I agree with you what is not to like at such a beautiful tree.

Thank you both.

Beryl.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

I'm no experert at all! This time of year I'm always asking around for who has cooking apple trees so I can add to chutney - as I am always shocked at the price in shops ( they of course get a jar). Generally it's always bramley, which is good in chutney.

Pawty
Beryl
KG Regular

Forgot to say - hope Steve lets us know his final choice.

Beryl.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic