Kohl rabi? I don't believe it !!

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I bought a strip of frilly, tinged purple leaves seedlings from garden centre which were labelled Purple kohl rabi. Not having ever seen a frilly leaved variety before I decided togive them a try.
Look at this picture. They are over a foot high now,no bulbs are formng and they look to me like a purple leaved variety of curly kale. I suspect somebody stuck the wrong label in the strip.

Can anybody confirm please?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (281.75 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
alan refail
KG Regular

Looks like a good Russian red kale.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Monika
KG Regular

Too crinkly for Red Russian, I think, Alan. Curly kale? Certainly not kohlrabi, Primrose!
alan refail
KG Regular

Monika wrote:Too crinkly for Red Russian, I think, Alan. Curly kale? Certainly not kohlrabi, Primrose!

Some cultivars of Red Russian are very crinkly. Red Ursa which I grow certainly is.

NB Not a picture of mine as I've eaten it all :wink:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic