Poor Germination

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

After the birds & dogs attempts to highjack my courgettes & pumpkins, I re-sowed, thinking the warm temperatures would aid quick germination. I put some seed in some empty holes on my membrane sheet 2 weeks ago & at the beginning of the week sowed some more in pots on the south facing patio - zilch from any! New seed & my own collected seed from last years QLD Blue, that actually was the first to germinate the first time around. I've had a little dig & can't find the patty pans or courgettes, so assumed they rotted, found the QLD Blue & might just be seeing a lighter greenish colour on one edge but not swollen ready to burst out. (Suspect mice might have got the sown in situ ones).

Weird, first sowing was the yellows that showed & not the green, now nothing. Fortunately found some courgettes & pumpkins plants online at much better prices than the garden centre so bought them, but gutted I had to do that. Any ideas? Is it this years weather or is it last year's poor weather resulting in seed not from a peak plant?

Westi
Westi
dan3008
KG Regular

I've had poor germination this year too ... Although that's a mix of bad seeds, and a strange Beatle eating some of the seeds, as well as wet weather...

Wait, you've got Queensland blue? Nice pumpkins they are :D lovely sweet rich taste, and I think they add a beautiful dash of colour to the autumn garden.

I'm hoping to get some next year :) where did you get yours from
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
robo
KG Regular

I've the same problem I've planted my French beans three times Ive had 3 out of 60 germinate much the same with my Pease I blame the potting compost, other things have struggled but not as bad as these
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Robo,
There are still some exceedingly bad so called multi-purpose composts on the market.
Seeds do not need the compost to germinate but rely heavily on it for the second stage of growing.
In desperation I bought two bags of Miracle Grow and find that it is so coarse that it would be almost impossible for anything smaller than a broad bean. I used it also for my Runner Beans which after trying to sieve the compost and discarding the really coarse material and pregerminating the seed have had great difficulty breaking through the surface. I have used the one bag and scaterred the second on a bed not being used this year where come autumn it will be dug in.
JB.
robo
KG Regular

Hi johnboy, I think I made a similar mistake ,I bought 2 bags from aldi why I do not know ,that is my problem I've also scattered it on my raised beds
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Dan

I got mine from Sarah Raven last year then saved my own seeds for this year,as only grew that one type & hopefully prevented cross pollination. I've still got one pumpkin left from last year & will keep more seeds from this one too. You can get them at Real Seeds too. When I take the plunge (read get the time) I'll dry out the seeds & would be happy to send out some to you & others that want some.

I'm using Durlston compost & not that happy with it, besides having chunks in it, compost in different bags behaves differently. The first bag dried out in the pots quickly, as did the second but this new bag remains fairly damp for longer. I suspect this year & last years stock, but could explain the losses with overcompensating with the drying out first time, then it not drying out quick enough this time maybe?

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've started sowing most seeds quite near or on the surface of the compost and covering them with a sprinkle of vermiculite and had very good germination. I like Miracle Grow but remove any large lumps from the surface before sowing.
dan3008
KG Regular

Westi - I'd seen them on real seeds, but that's the only place I'd seen them. Remember they will cross with any Cucurbita, so courgettes and summer squash as well as pumpkins and winter squash. Even if you had courgettes around, you should still be ok though, I'd imagine most bees ect would hop from flower to flower on the same plant.

Also, keep in mind what your neighbours are growing, because pumpkins are bug pollinated, there is a massive 'cross zone'

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Dan

Hopefully it was the perfect year for seed collecting - neighbours on one side don't grow them as don't like them, 2 empty plots on the other side, plot opposite were in Canada for the Summer & farmers field behind. While I can't vouch that the bees were loyal to me I think I excluded a lot of the chances. Would have been impossible this year as plots all full.

PP - sounds like an idea to try & I will after this year's challenges. Meanwhile I am soldiering on with re-sowing, although running out of fresh seed, so I might be responding to Pawty's post on taking notice of use by dates! :D Only have 'June' as delivery date for the plants I've ordered so may end up with a glut but will take that risk as odds against that at this time!

Westi
Westi
dan3008
KG Regular

Sounds like you'll be fine :)

I've grown pumpkin and winter squash before and I always think they are a rewarding crop. Mine just didn't grow this year :(

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I usually risk sowing seeds that are a little past their use by date, but this weekend I've decided to go through all my boxes of seeds and throw the older ones out. I have far too many, especially certain varieties of give aways from magazines. I've shared some in seed swaps and given them away but have more than I can use so I'm going to be ruthless.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi PP,
I must have had a bad batch of Miricle Grow because there were 3" pieces of wood and pieces of what resembles peat about 3/4" square which had to be broken up with a lump hammer. There was also masses of fibre which in itself is not bad but not in an all purpose compost.
I will certainly not be buying it again.
I normally buy my compost in Worcester but that is a 90mile round trip and I now only buy when I have to go there for business.
Having now finally retired the chances get slimmer by the day.
I still have plenty of Peat compost but the brambles seem to have taken over that particular area and it all needs rescuing.
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

I would suggest mixing your own potting mixes. As I've said before I use a Rotosieve to produce my own. This year I haven't had enough leafmould to make my usual mixtures. I've been using soil, Durstons Multi-Purpose compost, leafmould and sharp sand. Much of the soil has come from my greenhouse and polytunnel beds, for example when I dig a p/t bed I take out a barrowload of soil then add 2½ barrowloads from the compost heap. The Durstons m/p (bought last year) is very fine, they don't say but I think it is mostly peat. Typically I'll put 2 parts soil, 2 parts m/p, 1 part leafmould, 2 parts soil and 1 part sharp sand in the Rotosieve with a variety of additives depending on end use (sometimes nothing or combinations of lime, superphosphate, potash or FBB). It makes wonderful texture composts. I reckon you could improve most of these rough composts you complain about by putting them though one of these probably 4:1 with sharp sand.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Geoff,
Early yesterday I had a crack of rescuing my reserve of peat from years of Bramble growth and will do so whilst the weather lasts.
For the past five years I have had to sort out my sisters estate in Nova Scotia which has been an enormous task. I have had to make 16 trips to Canada and have been involved with court proceedings there because her appointed executor was found to be no longer responsible due to dementia.
I have now finally retired again having retired just over 5 years ago and then my sister died.
I can only do a little bit at a time now so worked in the cool of dawn this morning and will continue as long as the weather lasts.
I have always made my own composts based on Comfrey, Nettle and Borage and a few other herbs but have been severely restricted by my travels of late.
I no longer have the day to day running stresses or deal with the finances which has taken a great weight off my back.
This last five years have somehow taken the life out of me. I've got to say to myself get crackng and it will all come back. Sadly I have very serious doubts.
JB.
robo
KG Regular

I know how you feel Johnboy I takes me a full day to do what I would have done in an hour a few years ago but I get there, got an appointment to see the consultant on Thursday hope I get the ok to carry on living with out all types of bypasses and stents
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic