Poor Germination

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pawty
KG Regular

Thanks Westi. Thought it was just me. Apart from no flowers they look healthy so I'll leave them alone and see what happens.

Next daft question - lavender- while I was away my new plant has sent up loads of flowers on 2 foot stems. Do you leave it alone to flower now (to attract bees) or should I be cutting it back earlier / nip out the flowers to try and get it to produce lots more? I've never been great with shaping my lavenders and they always go a bit leggy. The lavender plants at the local national trust property are old, look great every year and never look leggy.

Thanks

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Pawty!

I always just leave mine - it is totally there for the insects & bees even if it does daft things! Or not actually this year, as I think I hacked it back a bit to hard & it was a bit old! You've just got to decide your priority! But I would say 2 foot stems are a bit OTT so I probably would trim those had they appeared on mine!

Westi

PS: How's the grape growing going?
Westi
robo
KG Regular

If you want to attract bees try chives let them grow into a clump, I counted 10 on a smallish clump two weeks ago but now the flowers are gone the wife cut them back before we came away
Pawty
KG Regular

Robo - love chives - I've got loads in the back garden and bees go crazy for them. Food and flowers, what more could you ask for. I also have some chineses chives, which are a year old and should give yellow flowers and garlic chives which are a few years old and yet to produce white flowers..... I'm sure they will eventually. I also planted Allium bulbs last year - just like giant chives and the bees absolutely love them. Going to put some more in in the autumn.

Pawty
robo
KG Regular

Hi pawty I planted garlic chives in fact I planted a row each side of my rows of carrots the rest I planted in a clump in the herb bit I have they gave purple flowers with one white one in the middle alas my wife has her eye on my herb section to plant her flowers, she has a border around the plot for flowers she is not interested in vegetables unless they look pretty then she will allow them into her world but she is after more and more ground which means less for me but she has got green fingers ( as well as other bits ) and her flowers are exceptional
razibpaul126
KG Regular

What a thinking !! :lol:
I always like new recipe.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic