Lotty treats ...

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pawty
KG Regular

There are some things you only get from growing your own...

Tonight I will be making a salad from the last of the purple sprouting .... Ok, so you can buy this, but it will be mixed with freshly picked garlic scapes !

What an absolute treat and I hate waste. Are there any other by products that people consider a treat which others might put on the compost heap, or that you can't buy?

Pawty
dan3008
KG Regular

Personally, I use carrot tops, and parsley to make a parsley wine :D, add a bit of yeast and it develops a really deep flavour and a slight sparkle

Now, I dont drink these days, so its only made as a gift for the family members who do.
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Westi
KG Regular

I haven't tried it but I am going to this year - coleslaw made from the calabrese stem. I believe there are a few ideas for using it, so will enjoy trying some of them as I like a bit of crunch in food. It's also an out of season thing as well as I always note how much of the big chunks of stem you pay for in the shops.

I'll leave the garlic scapes for you Pawty, found them a bit stringy, (probably left them too long on the planet though), but I have one PSB plant left just budding now which I am monitoring closely as it will go over quickly I think.

Like the carrot top & parley wine idea Dan Numbers, but find brewing & wine making alchemy a bit scary - many an explosion experienced in the past & pretty poor tasting muck at times as well! :)

Westi
Westi
dan3008
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Like the carrot top & parley wine idea Dan Numbers, but find brewing & wine making alchemy a bit scary - many an explosion experienced in the past & pretty poor tasting muck at times as well! :)

Westi

It can be a nightmare that's for sure. A relative of mine used to sell home made alcohol on the local market, so I've been learning the dark art from a very young age lol
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pawty
KG Regular

The garlic scapes were sooo good. They were very young - I like to take flower heads off as soon as I see them.

Dan - I'm not saying I'm a wine conesseaur but carrot top and parsley?? Sounds a bit like one of those health smoothies but one that'll make you pass out in an hour :lol: at least when your drinking it you can use the 'it's one of my five a day so it's ok arguement'. Think I'll stick to grapes on that one .......
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic