Bargain Basement

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Home Bargains have some large strong multi coloured windmills for £1.99. They are great for scaring sparrows from eating the pea shoots and wood pigeons from brassicas. Don't know how long it will take for them to get used to them, but hopefully it will be after I've picked the peas.

Think I'll get two more today.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Wyvale garden centre has a lot of half price offers on at the moment. I bought a few packets of seeds and noticed they had aluminium poles and connectors for fruit cages at half price too.
Beryl
KG Regular

Definitely not a bargain. I see Kings no longer give us members any discount on their seed tapes. £1.20 last year, now £1.95 same as their main catalogue. I've had very good success with the carrots and parsnips but might have to think again.

Beryl.
dan3008
KG Regular

Real bargin today, wilkos have seeds on sale :D wilko brand are down to £0.50 and big brands (I only saw unwins) are at £1

I spent £4 and got: Carrots, swede, butternut, sprouts, mini red pepper, cauliflower (50p each) and dwarf purple French beans at £1

So, that lot along with what I've got in, plus some oca and I'm set for next year
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Geoff
KG Regular

Anybody tried Premier Seeds Direct?
I used them via eBay but I think you can get to them through Amazon as well.
My Onion Senshyu Yellow seeds haven't germinated very well(third year of the packet) so I thought I would try them from sets. I ordered ½kg, they came today and look good, there are just over 180 which is rather more than I anticipated. I bought ¼kg Shakespeare at the same time as the description sounded interesting, anybody grown these?
Their seed prices look interesting so I was wondering if anybody had any experience.
dan3008
KG Regular

I've grown Shakespeare... Cant coment much on them, as I only got 2... Theves at the allotments took loads... That was my last year at the site when the insurance refused to pay for damages because "anyone with a key can get onto the site"
Well yes, anyone with a key can get into my house... Lol
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Geoff,
I use premier seeds on Amazon, good value for money but mostly plain packaging with only the minimum of information; name, number and Defra/EC info etc. I would also recommend Just seeds on Amazon as well.

My biggie of the week was going to Harrogate Flower show and going to the DT Brown stand where they had LOTS of packets of seeds at £1 which were date ending this year and bought 42 packets. When I got home I used the catalogue to work out the saving was over £60! That was the train ticket and the entry fee for the show paid for!!!

Regards Sally Wright
robo
KG Regular

Wilkinsons yesterday had their own seeds at 10 pence a packet and named seeds I.e. Johnson's at 50 pence a packet they also had loads of gardening stuff reduced to more than half price
Pawty
KG Regular

All packs of seeds currently 40p a pack - link below.

Pawty

http://www.vegetableseeds.net/category_s/36.htm
peter
KG Regular

Guild power tools in Homebase clearance, 8" table saw £34.
Got 9ne to cut pallet planks into 9" lengths to split for kindling. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

And also thinking about seed storage on another thread.....

In waitrose clipper tea bags comes in a free tea caddy tin (and 50 p off coupon). This is our preferred tea anyway.... I got a couple as the tea caddys look perfect for seed pack storage. I might even get a couple more as its not like we won't use the tea!

Pawty
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Mr Fothergills haves loads of seeds on offer at the moment for £1 a pack (and not the ones which are usually £1) - huge variety and for every 5, you get one free. That's my dads Christmas present sorted!

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Pawty,

Got that e-mail as well, going to browse tomorrow! Good offer indeed.

Westi
Westi
Beryl
KG Regular

Vegetable seeds now 30p Pawty.
http://www.vegetableseeds.net/Default.asp

Beryl.
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

sally wright wrote:I use premier seeds on Amazon,

I'm afraid I had a terrible experience with ordering seeds on Amazon earlier this year. While I use Amazon for a lot of things (I do not have a car so Internet shopping is bliss), I do find their marketplace sellers very confusing sometimes. For this particular unfortunate incident I ordered some Lettuce Tom Thumb Organic Seeds (800 for £0.94 so a bargain!), and then wondering where they were a few days later, realized they were actually shipped from China... In the end they arrived without any certificates or labels. I did not even try to saw them and binned them directly - after receiving a refund.
Strangely enough if I look at that product now it says it is from Premier Seeds. Maybe the supplier has changed but my (negative) review is still there...
Odd.
So I would advise caution!
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic