Strawberries fruiting!

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pa Snip
KG Regular

My Cambridge Favourite are the same Westi, a mass of flowers amongst the bed on the allotment at present.

I shall cover them in fleece soon and see what happens.
Some of the ones in our back garden have been producing the occasional fruit over the last couple of weeks.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
dan3008
KG Regular

Dont know what the weathers been like for you, but here in shef, we've had a really warm september, which seems to have extended a lot of my crops and confused some plants into recropping (I got a second run on my tomatoes)
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Westi
KG Regular

Actually after I posted this I thought 'Plonker - of course you will try to ripen them!' Doesn't matter if they get spent as they have shot out more runners as well, so have the new generation ready anyway!

This year may have not suited some fruit but seems the strawberries are very happy thank you!

Westi
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

we've been picking a huge punnet full of strawberries for the last month or 2! I think I bought perpetual ones for my new stock (what a shame eh?) they are huge and there are loads of them, variety Ostara. (they are very firm and keep well, but my mum thinks they are too crisp for eating raw)
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The Mara des bois and the Toscana are having their late season crop so I'm having a few on my breakfast muesli every morning. They are both in pots so I can move them into the sun to help them ripen. I also bring them into the greenhouse in spring for their early crop.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

An interesting statement on "Farming today" on radio 4, was that you get better quality strawberries, if the bees that are pollinating them are visiting wild flowers as well.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
linda0012
KG Regular

dan3008 wrote:Dont know what the weathers been like for you, but here in shef, we've had a really warm september, which seems to have extended a lot of my crops and confused some plants into recropping (I got a second run on my tomatoes)

You should have changed your location to somewhere cooler place like Chicago or Australia if you felt so much sewer weather. What do you think? :D
dan3008
KG Regular

linda0012 wrote:
dan3008 wrote:Dont know what the weathers been like for you, but here in shef, we've had a really warm september, which seems to have extended a lot of my crops and confused some plants into recropping (I got a second run on my tomatoes)

You should have changed your location to somewhere cooler place like Chicago or Australia if you felt so much sewer weather. What do you think? :D

I'd love to live in Aus or Chicago... But sadly I dont even have a passport :(
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
dilettante
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:An interesting statement on "Farming today" on radio 4, was that you get better quality strawberries, if the bees that are pollinating them are visiting wild flowers as well.

Did they mean wild strawberries, or wild flowers like poppies etc? I'm curious to know the reasoning behind that.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Dilettante, i'm sure they were on about wild flowers, which i thought a little strange but, i was hoping someone else might have heard it too....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
r1hvy
KG Regular

We have had a little strawberry plant in our garden that we bought from a garden centre but we only got one berry all summer until last week when we had a monster harvest of 3 :-(
Westi
KG Regular

Funny r1hvy! :lol:

Has it sent out any runners? Think you may need to increase your stock, but bet they tasted nice.

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've been very pleased with the Toscana red flowered ones I bought more as ornamental ones in pots with lobelia and white bacopa. I gave them lots of fertiliser and they still have lots of fruit ripening. One plant has probably had 30 fruits ripening a few at a time over the past month and it has about a dozen still ripening.
r1hvy
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Funny r1hvy! :lol:

Has it sent out any runners? Think you may need to increase your stock, but bet they tasted nice.

Westi

They were beautiful, in fairness they we in a quite little pot so I may plant them next year but I have tried to grow them in the garden before unsuccessfully.
Westi
KG Regular

What about one of those proper strawberry pots where they have holes in the side as well as the top? The strawberries hang down & hide the pot, easy to pick & can fit in quite a few plants.

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic