Tayberry

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Claire,
Being of a certain age I am afraid that I do not quite understand your posting.
Perhaps senility more advanced than I had realised.
JB.
Barry
KG Regular

I have grown both Tayberries and Sunberries, but found the latter to be better fruiting, although plants are practically impossible to find.

When living in West Kent, I moved allotments and took both plants with me, but they were never the same. When young, I bathed in the fruit they produced, so prolific were they.

However, one word of warning, while I found birds hardly ever ate my raspberries, they would strip a sunberry or tayberry and cross radiated broken glass riddled with land mines and cats to get at a jostaberry. So, on my new allotment in East Kent, I am putting the tayberry in a fruit cage.

I am determined to source a sunberry too, but they seem to be expensive and thin on the ground.

I bought my tayberry locally, but it is tiny, occupying a starter pot. My memories of my tayberriers are that they go on foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (sorry, couldn't resist that...) so this one has a lot of growing to do.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I'd stick to tayberries for a good yield. The sun berries look a bit too much like deadly nightshade for my liking. It says they taste a bit like tayberries, so why not just grow tayberries they are so easy and productive. Tayberries are also sweeter than a lot of the other hybrid berries.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic