brown leeks

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

jeff64
KG Regular

Harvested some leeks today and they all had brown stains in them and a small hole in them,apart from that they looked healthy,good size,clean leaf,healthy roots,could you tell me what it might be please. :?:
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Are there any small brown grubs at the bottom of the holes, if you peel one away ? If so, I have them too, and I think the culprit is Leek moth.
jeff64
KG Regular

Yes i think there is Tony,is there any action to be taken? thanks Jeff
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Aside from using environmesh next year ? I don't think so. If I peel away the outer layers, I am left with a bit that's useable with mine. I have some that were grown under mesh so should be ok, I'll save them to last using the affected ones first in case the grubs are still burrowing
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Allium Leaf Miner. Affects all alliums, Leeks, Onions, Garlic.

Once at its strongest in southern England, now spreading across the country. Some reports of commercial growers becoming affected.

Currently no effective sprays or insecticides.

Digging ground over late autumn may let frosts get to pupae. Crop rotation may help avoid annual build up.
Infected parts of crops should be removed from site, NOT composted on site

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Just found this BBC page which gives preventative suggestions and may assist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advice/p ... iner_moths

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
jeff64
KG Regular

Sounds very daunting,will keep an eye on it,thanks again Tony and Pa Snip
Chantal
KG Regular

Hi Jeff

Allium Leaf Miners are very different to the basic Leaf Miners. The RHS have some advice https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=643 but they are an absolute nightmare. We've suffered from them for some years now and despite covering the leeks this year, we still got hammered. All our leeks are now up, stripped of bad bits, blanched and frozen. If you leave them in the ground once they're attacked, they quickly rot and stink like gone off pickled onions.

Good luck
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
jeff64
KG Regular

Hi Chantal, thanks for the info., i appear to be the only one on the allotments that has them ,so i will try my best to eradicate them for next year. Thanks again to you all. Jeff
rowbow
KG Regular

When I get rust on the leeks I cut the tops off down to 1" above the white section the leaves grow back and usually free of rust :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic