chicken manure pellets

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

caz1967
KG Regular

I am new to allotment keeping and have seen about using chicken manure pellets to help boost the soil. What is the best way to use them
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I used to use 6x as a top dressing but tend to use fish, blood and bone instead these days, both in the soil when planting and hoe'd in as a booster later in the season. I think folk thought it would replace manure or compost, not too sure it does to be honest.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
robo
KG Regular

I use chicken manure I've no option I've got 8 chickens I find it very good
salmoor61
KG Regular

I also use chicken manure pellets& find it extremely good for beefing up poor soil, great for roses and sweet-peas
Westi
KG Regular

I use chicken manure but not the pellets, just the flakey type as found not all the pellets broke down. I have very sandy soil and I find it really helps & gives the plants a great boost - brassica's love it. Through the season I also use it about 3 times for the greenhouse crops, along with appropriate tomato feed. It's really noticeable - plants that were sulking or looked spent get another flush.
Westi
Allotmentkid
KG Regular

Make sure they are watered or dug in. Cats and foxes are attracted to the smell and use as a toilet.
rowbow
KG Regular

You could soak the pellets in water overnight give it stir, water around plants, saves disturbing the soil. :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic