early Peas

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin Miles
KG Regular

Mine are just flowering. How long before I can pick them given average or above average temperatures?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

At best of times I'm afraid that's a piece of string question, but without having a variety name I think the answers will be second guesses Colin.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Colin Miles
KG Regular

The variety is Cash. Not too worried as we haven't got many and am away from Monday until 9th June. Hoping they will be nice and ready then, along with a few Broad Beans.
Primrose
KG Regular

No idea I'm afraid but Ican guarantee that my peas will probably be at their best for picking and eating coinciding with the holiday for us my husband has just booked ! :roll:
Not being a gardener such issues don't enter his head and part of me really hates being away just as a crop I've nurtured for weeks
Is ready to pick. It's like asking a chap to be away when his football team is playing the last match of the season and and it's a vital promotion or relegation game !
robo
KG Regular

Primrose I will send my granddaughters over they can't half shift them
Westi
KG Regular

And here I am celebrating that their little tendrils are wrapping around the wire finally at about 4 inches tall! :) Hopefully the Team will respond & give you a bit of a prediction!
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've only just sown mine and they have just germinated so I've a really long wait especially for the tall varieties.

Did anyone plant the little free packet of sugar snap peas? There's still no sign of mine germinating.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:I've only just sown mine and they have just germinated so I've a really long wait especially for the tall varieties.

Did anyone plant the little free packet of sugar snap peas? There's still no sign of mine germinating.

The packet with about 9 peas in ??? Mrs S sowed them, 6 came up and need transplanting about now.

Birds Eye have been on the phone expressing concern that we may go into competition with them when we harvest the 6.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

The older varieties of Spring sown early peas would be expected to mature in 11 or 12 weeks, never heard of Cash and a quick search hasn't found anything, who's catalogue are they out of?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Could be a Bank of England variety, must confess I wouldn't mind a cash crop

robo
KG Regular

We used to work for the cia cash in and or hand for the posh people
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Cash is from Marshalls.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Wow Pa, I may give you a run for your money, three of my sugar snaps have germinated.
Johnboy
KG Regular

My first peas were sown in gutter lengths( 10 x33inches) in the first week in February on the bench in one of the tunnels and I am picking for the second week. I have three more rows on the go. Most of my produce is picked and frozen and get distributed to my family cos there are quite a few peas on 4x 30ft rows.They are of really good quality this year. They are sown in the gutters in 16 x 2 per gutter length. I always have my own peas with my Christmas lunch. Home frozen are far better in flavour than shop bought. Shop bought seem to lack any flavour.
JB.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

There is no comparison when it comes to taste of peas.

We also sow in gutters, cut to approx. 1mt and 600mm lengths. The first sowing we did this year was Early Onward and they should start flowering soon. They are outdoors protected from birds by enviromesh. Greenhouse not big enough to keep them in and do not have a tunnel.

4.8 mt run of each,Early Onward, Oregon Sugar Snap, Alderman and Kelvedon Wonder, now sown direct.

Another 4.8mt of Alderman also sown in guttering in greenhouse until germinated
Last edited by Pa Snip on Tue May 30, 2017 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic