early Peas

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pa Snip
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:Wow Pa, I may give you a run for your money, three of my sugar snaps have germinated.

:lol:

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pawty
KG Regular

My allotment neighbour had to free a pigeon from my pea cage yesterday. The cage is a bit rough and ready but thought it would have kept them out.... but no... it found a way.

Fingers crossed the damage was just superficial and they will grow new shoots.

Pawty
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Pawty wrote:My allotment neighbour had to free a pigeon from my pea cage yesterday. The cage is a bit rough and ready but thought it would have kept them out.... but no... it found a way.

Fingers crossed the damage was just superficial and they will grow new shoots.

Pawty

I think the little b***ers watch what you do and start planning their form of attack almost with military precision.
There was at one time even one who had a military title and got into the pop charts. :D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

I would love to be able to grow enough peas to eat them frozen on Christmas Day.
We're so short of space that I can only grow one short row and I have to admit that many of them disappear down my throat before they even have the chance to reach the kitchen. They're known in our house as "growers perks".
Pa Snip
KG Regular

At least you get to enjoy fresh peas as a taster

robo
KG Regular

There's a lot of pigeons around our plot but it's the pheasant that is the biggest pest if only I hadn't had my pellet gun pinched
Westi
KG Regular

Little feathered blighters got at my 2nd bed - seen worse damage so hopefully they will grow through it. What with mice taking the first 2 sowings of my first crop & now these nibbling the 2nd bed I am well behind you all & probably won't have any for Xmas! But we always have Runner Beans with our Xmas meal!
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Wildlife can be a nuisance however much you try to live and let live. The stupid woodpigeons have been back on my cherry tree jumping about and spitting the green cherries on the floor.
Monika
KG Regular

Our greediest pea eaters, or rather pea leaf eaters, are the house sparrows. Our peas and sweet peas are now protected by fleece because the sparrows were just ripping the ends of the shoots to pieces. Hopefully, now we have had a bit of rain they will find other juicy bits to eat.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

No close season on pigeons and are quite nice with a salad.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Johnboy
KG Regular

If you remember we had a quite warm spell in February which was just after my first sowing of peas had germinated and I expected to plant out in about a month but they were ready at not quite three weeks and were then nearly 4"tall.
Since then they have grown at a pace never experienced by me before. I was sure something was going to have them but not even a pigeon strike. The crops are only protected by Hazel branches to keep the Pheasants at bay and they work very well. Luckily we have several miles of Hazel hedging and I leave it to grow especially for peasticks and a year older for the protection barrier. When the sticks are taken the edge is cut and it starts all over again. When the peasticks are dispensed with the are broken up for kindling or my log burner.
JB.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

On a slight tangent, sugar snap peas, I have a handful in a 6 inch pot about to flower in the greenhouse, do they need to go outside for pollination? Never grown them before.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Geoff
KG Regular

Mine grow happily in the tunnel, getting lots at the moment.
Johnboy
KG Regular

God save us from contradicted text. Which has just changed predictive text to Texas's wall see. I wrote germinated which became terminated and it has changed it again and peasticks became breadsticks. I am new to this Fire thing and it is driving me mad. Is there any way of disconnecting it! It says add to dictionary and then takes no notice when you do.
JB.
peter
KG Regular

Adding to dictionary also probably ticks a box in it's sheet of "I got the prediction right" scores increasing the likelihood of you growing your peas up breadsticks. :lol:

I took over half an hour this afternoon figuring out how to personally select the colours for the segments of a pie chart in Excel 2016. Could do it in Excel 2008, but oh no, it has to become more helpfulness offering coordinated colour schemes automatically and obfuscation the manual selection methods.
To be absolutely truthful it was hiding in plain sight, click the pie, then the segment, then the circles on the segment arc and then a menu, then.............. :roll:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic