early Peas

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

robo
KG Regular

Johnboy it is a pain but helpful at times I'm must be the world's worst speller and I find it helpfully when I'm not sure of a spelling you can turn it off I think but every computer is different
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Robo,
The machine in question is an Amazon Fire HD 10 and arrives without any instructions as to the best use etc. so I am having to find my way around in the dark. I desperately need my grandchildren and we have a family meeting on Sunday they will all be there. Then I have to tune into the farms wi-fi number and I can use it there and change it back again when I get back home. Thats the tricky bit because the grandchildren will no longer be there! They may also know if the predivtive text can be switched off.
JB.
robo
KG Regular

Hi johnboy I use a kindle fire I find it excellent it's fast enough to search the web and light enough to use for reading ebooks ,when I take it to Spain it automatically finds the modem I have over there and switches to it you may find its easier than you think to use ,best of luck I normally get my granddaughters to sort things like this out
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Johnboy, have a look in Settings for language and input and it should show predictive text. You can turn it off.
Johnboy
KG Regular

I slipped with the stylus and from nowhere appeared a dropdown with settings and a host of other things which I will explore in the days to come.
Thank you Robo and PP for holding my holding hand with such a brave step!
Of course if Amazon were to enclose just a word telling you a about the dropdown all would have been fine.
Thank you once again.
JB.
Grow4us2eat
KG Regular

Is it best to wait until the spring to grow early peas (feltham first I have seed of now) in guttering I think it can be done September to October but then do they survive a long winter in an un-heated greenhouse. I would prefer to do from sept onwards as greenhouse is small and full with so much in spring.
Monika
KG Regular

It depends where you live, G42E. Growing them in the greenhouse is not really an option over winter because of the lack of light rather than warmth but if you live in a sheltered, warmish place you could try them outside over winter, though even then I would not sow them until October/November. Otherwise they will grow too long and lush and could be devastated by any wintry weather.
I think (and I have grown vegetables in a more favourable area than the Yorkshire Dales!) it is rarely worth sowing peas or broad beans in autumn. Doing so in spring, especially if you can start them off inside and then plant them out, they will romp away in much better conditions and catch up with autumn-sown plants.
Westi
KG Regular

I try to overwinter them every year & I'm in the tropical end of England! In the plot & never successful despite protection, better this year & looked fine - then we had a late frost! :( Will try again though.
Westi
Gerry
KG Regular

I sowed early in rootrainers, in the greenhouse, this year. After hardening them off I planted outside. At the same time I sowed seed outside. The ones sown outside were producing harvestable peas within two weeks of the others.

Having said that I don't have trouble with vermin eating the seed.

Regards,
Gerry.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic