Spent Coffee Grounds on Allotments

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

brian sharp
KG Regular

Dear Team, I have heard that coffee grounds are good for the soil in gardens and allotments. I have also heard that the coffee grounds are good for the acid loving plants.
Can you please tell me if the coffee grounds are good for the plants I grow on my allotment ie: Potatoes, tomatoes, cabbage, brussels broccoli, carrots, onions, garlic, sweetcorn runner - french - and broad beans.
Thank you for your time.
Brian Sharp
[email protected]
KG Tony
KG Regular

There is an argument that they are good (though keep dogs away from them) but there is an interesting article by James Wong where he found they were actually detrimental due to the caffeine in coffee which is designed to inhibit plant growth. https://t.co/2ky4KOEo7W
KG Steve
KG Editor

I suspect it is like everything else - use it with caution and don't overdo it. Many years ago (and in another job!) an office plant died within days of someone pouring some dregs from a coffee cup into the pot! Not sure who the culprit may have been :oops: This suggested to me that black coffee itself is pretty lethal to plants and I remember being surprised that grounds were being recommended for wholesale use on garden plants.

I would recommend using it in sensible amounts around plants volnerable to slug attack as it does seem to be a good anti-slug and snail barrier and in small amounts on the soil surface there shoud be no problem. I'd advise against using it in large quantities to dig in as I think James probably raises some valid points. Mind you I'd say the same about adding too much of anything - ie manure, grass clippings etc. It's all about balance.

And just to second the advice about dogs - don't use it where they have access to the garden.
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I think James Wong refered to a mulch 1" thick. Quite a lot of coffee !

You've got me curious now though. What happens to a dog on caffeine ?
KG Steve
KG Editor

I'm sure there is a good joke there somewhere Tony - but I just can't think of one at the moment! If anyone else can feel free to post it (polite ones only of course) :D I guess the dog's fleas would be pretty wired!

Seriously though, it has much the same effect on dogs as on us - increased heart rate etc, but they are said to be far more sensitive to it, especially small dogs. Apparently there is no cure either. My lab would hoover up the lot so there is no way I could use it!
Decaff, I am told, is OK, but of course the stuff from a highstreet chain would be a mix of all sorts.
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Call me mad (what you mean, you already do !!) but wasn't there some talk a while back about that lovely organisation called the EU spouting on about wanting a directive banning the use of coffee grounds as a mulch.

I can't remember when it was, within last 3 or 4 years I think. Something is stirring the back of my mind on the subject.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
KG Steve
KG Editor

You're more sane than most of the rest of us Par Snip!

Actually since coffee grounds are not an approved pesticide under EU regulations it is already technically illegal to use them as a slug or snail killer. It wouldn't be illegal to use them as a mulch since you are not using them to kill anything then, only to improve the soil.

I wonder what might happen if anything given time after Brexit. We will keep you informed as it happens!
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Captain Carrot wrote:You're more sane than most of the rest of us Par Snip!
Actually since coffee grounds are not an approved pesticide under EU regulations it is already technically illegal to use them as a slug or snail killer.
I wonder what might happen if anything given time after Brexit. We will keep you informed as it happens!

Whhhheyy heyy, that's one I've suckered into thinking I'm sane. I can see this jacket coming off soon and me being out this padded room.

That was it, that's what I was trying to remember, a hoo hah over coffee grounds as a pesticide.

Can't quite describe it as a storm in a teacup

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

Did you see them using coffee grounds to grow mushrooms on yesterday's Springwatch Autumn Diary? http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-3
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Captain Carrot wrote:Actually since coffee grounds are not an approved pesticide under EU regulations it is already technically illegal to use them as a slug or snail killer. It wouldn't be illegal to use them as a mulch since you are not using them to kill anything then, only to improve the soil

It may not be on the approved list, but is it on the forbidden list? If not on there, then I would not think it would be an issue, no? Any way to get rid of slugs is a good way - in my own humble opinion... 8)
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Diane
KG Regular

Pouring coffee grounds ( over a period of a couple of months or so, in the Spring ) into the tub containing my holly tree certainly killed off the vine weevil larvae. The tree is fine still.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic