Soil & Crop rotation

If you would like advice from the Kitchen Garden editorial team, ask here. Steve, Emma or Tony will pop in with their best advice.

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

OscarSidcup
KG Regular

As this year's growing season comes to an end and the seed catalogues come piling in, I was wondering whether I could plant the same vegetables in the same beds, if I added a bit of fresh topsoil. In particular I have this brilliant place in my garden for tomatoes - where they got the best sun exposure and would like to plant those again there next year. Would you have an advice on this?
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Perceived wisdom is that crops should ideally be rotated to prevent the build-up of soil borne diseases. Having said that, people seem to grow tomatoes year in year out in the greenhouse in pretty much the same soil, with just a bit of annual top-up/revitalising, so I find it difficult to see why the same should not hold true for your tomato bed outside, provided this year’s crop seems healthy.

PS to Admin; I like the idea of the new section for 'Ask the Team'.
KGAdmin
Site Admin

FredFromOssett wrote:PS to Admin; I like the idea of the new section for 'Ask the Team'.

Good! Thanks!
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Thank you for this.

Reading your answer, I realize I should also have said that some of my prized tomatoes seemed to have had some blight, so I sprayed Bouillie Bordelaise... So my soil now has both blight spores and most probably a bit of copper (but I was parsimonious when spraying)... Is it ruined? Will the winter kill the spores (and the nasty slugs)?
Nature is simply amazing
KG Steve
KG Editor

The blight spores will die in the soil over winter, however, they can survive in old crop debris and particualrly in any 'volunteer' potatoes that may have been missed when digging. Give the area a good clean to remove any old leaves and infected fruit and if any old spuids do pop up in spring, be quick to pull them out. Unfortunately whatever you do, new blight spores may blow in from the surrounding area next summer! :(
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
KG Steve
KG Editor

PS re your tomato patch. I think you'll be OK for a few years but after that I'd think about moving them if you can, not just because of disease build up but because 'mono-cropping' tends to deplete the nutrients most needed by that crop. Funnily enough there will be a very good feature on crop rotation in the January issue by Joyce Russell, so do look out for that!
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I have to say, this has pleased me greatly to see a, (Ask the team) section. It is something i did mention a few years ago and i think it will help the forum a great deal.

Just one comment, maybe if the question is asked in the relevant section first, then if it doesn't get the correct, or any answer, it could be moved to, (Ask the team).....Just a thought, as we don't want the team getting swamped with questions. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

splendid - thank you!
Nature is simply amazing
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic