dahlias from seed.

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Diane
KG Regular

I grew these from seed, this spring. Will they develop tubers, like the ones you buy in the shops? Anyone know?
Attachments
P1040178_0262_edited-1.psdDahlias from seed.jpg
P1040178_0262_edited-1.psdDahlias from seed.jpg (933.73 KiB) Viewed 5066 times
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Monika
KG Regular

They will, Diane, usually smaller than the large dahlia types but quite usable the following year.
Diane
KG Regular

Thank you Monika, I'm growing these as part of an experiment being run by the RHS to see which of the three colours that the bees prefer. At the moment they are visiting all three colours but, when they first started to bloom, the bees ignored the white ones totally. Very interesting.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

You have to be careful not to let the little tubers get too dry and shrivelled or you'll lose them. I keep them in old compost with the tops just poking out and almost dry in pots in a frost free place.
Last edited by PLUMPUDDING on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Last year I left mine in their pots in the greenhouse over winter with a bit of fleece on top, then potted the tubers in the spring, getting a nice display just now.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

First time I've ever had blight, so in the big scheme of things I could say I've been a lucky gardener, lifted the entire crop and sadly because they weren't really ready I have no PFA for this year. The reds(forget the variety now) are great, nice large tubers, big enough for jackets this coming autumn.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic