Planting Broccoli

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Yes you still have time to sow the seed. You will perhaps have a better chance if you sow it in some compost in small trays or containers. Those plastic punnets which some fruits or tomatoes come in from e supermarket are good. Sow the seeds fairly thinly and wait until the seedlings are several inches high before planting them out into open ground. And don't forget the slug pellets after planting out, especially if it rains as your seedlings could disappear overnight!
Geoff
KG Regular

Welcome!
Depends what sort of broccoli you have, do you know the variety? All my over Winter purple sprouting types are in the ground but at least one seed packet says sow April and May so that would still work. If you are talking calabrese type many of those can still be sown.
Primrose
KG Regular

Ploverson. Don't always go strictly by the rules on the packet although I'm sure you'll be fine sowing now. Over the years I've learned that given good weather conditions you can often manage to break the rules and still be lucky.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi & Welcome Ploverson!

Sow away! The packet is a guide but as I whinge on about there is a very different climate down south to up north & we should do zones like they do on larger continents. I see you are in London so will be hotter then a lot of other spots so you can start a wee bit earlier & sow later than some of the other folk on the forum. I sowed some calabrese direct on the plot & they came up (with adequate slug control obviously as highlighted by Primrose). If you have broccoli (I know confusing - if it makes one big head it is calabrese but if lots of little shots is broccoli, the supermarkets confuse us), then go for sowing into seed containers like Primrose advises.
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I'm going to sow my winter brassicas today and a few of the quick kailaan Chinese ones. I'm a month later than usual but things grow so fast at this time of the year that they easily catch up.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I haven't got my winter greens seeds yet, just need some cabbage as the swede and brussels are all coming along, ditto the parsnips.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Over a considerably long gardening period I have found it best to be a tad late with sowing than a tad early and as PP says things sown later always catch up. Sown too soon in the year and you are likely to give yourself problems.
JB.
Westi
KG Regular

Just watch the head forming, it is a fine window of opportunity - if it looks tight with a bit of a blue/ purple tinge - take it! Don't wait for size & if they're is a stalk left leave that until it grows a bit & still take it. Even if you miss this chance don't put it in the compost - make broccoli soup!
Westi
Caluan
KG Regular

Great advice! I'll try sowing into seed containers.
If I were you I would check book of ra deluxe slot here. I mean, do you know what virtual gambling is? A number of studies shown this one is of the best around.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic