Sweet Potatoes

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

lez
KG Regular

Hi Ya, I saw a little snippet in the KG magazine where Joyce Russell said about growing sweet potatoes in a black bucket. I could see it was a two gallon one and having tried to grow this crop with no real success both in the greenhouse border, on the lottie and in potato bags it interested me to see her input to a different way and it makes sense to me. There was no mention of variety and I assume one slip per bucket. I am considering having a try again but was wondering has any one else tried this method? if si, how did it go? Did the bucket stay in tact ie no drainage holes? I also take the growth was trained up sticks or was it left to spread? I have tried both. Any input to further my interest would be welcome. I did grow some tubers but not very big. Feeding was mentioned in the article so maybe that helps. Look forward to hearing from all.
Westi
KG Regular

I look forward to the replies Lez, so hit & miss Sweet Potatoes.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

lez
KG Regular

Hi Ya, thanks for the input it seems no one has managed to grow a decent crop of them no matter how much pampering they are given, Mind made up will not bother again until I get more favourable reports. I wonder why they sell so well as every seed company sells them and are even sold out. Thanks all
Pa Snip
KG Regular

They sell well for novelty value partly I suspect. Its a challenge I suppose.
As I have said before I just don't think our climate is suited except perhaps under polytunnels.

I've given up on them, which is a shame because we really like them. However, for now they will remain a regular treat from the shops (or the grocers stall)

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

I have a root on my sweet potato on the window sill, but no top growth yet or even soon from my research. It is not going to provide slips for the long growing season, but if it does eventually give me slips might try them in the bucket, in the greenhouse! Definitely not paying £9.99 for 6 that's for sure - not that there any any available anyway!
Westi
time4tea
KG Regular

Only grown them indoors, had reasonable crop, using Super plugs from Suttons - Beauregard.

We grew some from Suttons - variety Beauregard, 6 Super plugs. We did this about three years ago and put them in potato bags or pots the same size (2 per bag due to room). We grew them in a South Facing Window of one of our French windows in the kitchen. We did it for fun and got a few (supermarket is cheaper to order loose bags for eating).

The bonus with this variety is the leaves climb up canes like Vines (related to Bind weed or Morning Glory plant) and you can break of young leaves and stir fry them with garlic butter. :D We waited until they got to the top of the canes before breaking off leaves for stir fry. They are a fun plant, follow Suttons instructions for this couldn't go wrong.

Wendy
time4tea
KG Regular

Forgot to add, we had another supermarket variety sprout. We followed instructions on line for cutting in half and chitting in a jar on window. The Chitted ones didn't do as well as the whole one that sprouted (see making SLIPS) and the Super plugs from Suttons produced a better crop. We didn't eat the leaves of the supermarket, as I not all varieties are edible.

MAKING SLIPS:

https://growinginthegarden.com/a-fast-a ... ato-slips/

PLANTING TIP: Mix compost with sand (cannot remember ratio, but its on-line or in Sutton's leaflet, may be 50:50). We put the pots and bags on a grow bag tray to keep any drips from going on the floor.

Info from a US website for US growing conditions (hence we planted indoors):

https://bonnieplants.com/product/beaure ... et-potato/

EDIBLE LEAVES ON SOME VARIETIES:

'Like all culinary sweet potatoes, the leaves of Beauregard are edible and can be used in place of spinach, kale, chard and various Asian greens. They are very nutritious... and may just be the next big thing (of course they have been popular forever in Asian cooking!). Sweet potato greens can be wilted in a skillet (similar to other greens), or stir-fried with other ingredients.'

The above leaf info taken from Canadian Website: https://sagegarden.ca/products/sweet-po ... king%21%29.

Hope this helps. We reused the sandy soil mix for parsnips and they loved it.

Wendy.
Westi
KG Regular

I hedged my bets & bought in slips after last years amazing results! Shared some slips with my neighbour as gave her about that amount of mine anyway last year as they were a bit thuggish! Her's have taken over her greenhouse, mine have been fighting the moles but now that is rectified they are taking off big time so will be early closing of one of the tunnel doors so I can get a harvest. Don't mind them being smaller but want something of a payback for the sonic repeller thing & not them paying me back for the cheap packet of mothballs that finally rid me of the little blighters!

Just a reminder show off pic of my success, including the one different variety in the pack of slips which was a pretty good size as well! I'm allowed to be hyper excited about last year as persevered for about a decade to get these!
[attachment=0]IMG_5175.JPG[/attachment
Attachments
IMG_5175.JPG
IMG_5175.JPG (2.01 MiB) Viewed 6664 times
Westi
time4tea
KG Regular

Westi, They're looking good. Think you nailed it. Try finding a variety with leaves to cook. Tastes yummy.

Now inspired to grow more. We have tomatoes and had to buy Crimson Crush F1 for next year, as area we now live in is near a spud farm and blight on tommies is awful. We had to plant Roma, Red Robin and Lemon Tree indoors. Use battery kids toothbrush to pollinate. Okay, but black flies are visiting now. Sweet Spuds are easy and provide a nice shade by the window.

Moles... We had one in our garden, but left the grass, now they've gone back to neighbours. We didn't disturb them and our cat may have made them relocate.

Looks like you have Sweet spuds nailed.

Wendy
Westi
KG Regular

time4tea! Great idea with the kiddies tooth brush!

I thought you could cook the leaves with all these UK friendly varieties? Best do some more research on this as was thinking if I couldn't limp them through this year I could at least not waste the foliage! I'm still hopeful as vent on tunnel was totally open today showing 34C on the thermometer so still getting the temp they like. Fingers crossed! Only nailed in the perfect year though so still work to do on the not so perfect!

BTW Mole has not left the plot just relocated itself closer to the back fence - hopefully it will be the farmer's problem in the field behind shortly!
Westi
Kayburton
KG Regular

Without drainage holes, there will be no ventilation in the roots, liquid will stagnate, leading to decay. And if you plan to grow sweet potatoes in small containers, then there should be no more than one plant in the container.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic