Asparagus bed

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

vivienz
KG Regular

I really, really want an asparagus bed. Well, I actually want the asparagus but understand that I need the bed of plants to achieve my primary objective.

I have all year to get it together, but before I wait for 3 years and find the one I've grown isn't great, does anyone have any particular recommendation for preparation, variety and suppliers?

Ta!
snooky
KG Regular

Hi vivienz,

Clicking on this link will give you an idea on how to sort your Asparagus bed and give you an ideaabout plants.

http://www.agradeasparagus.co.uk/
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Westi
KG Regular

I am always pleased when I see my asparagus coming up - my sign of proper Spring!

Mr Westi invested into the research big time, dug deep, made the mounds to spread the crowns over, cleared weeds. It was so exciting to see it come up first year even though couldn't take any at that time. Was just Gymlin and the like, nothing fancy. I tried the new Pacific ones in another bed with the same care & attention but they failed after the second year, so I guess the moral is to stick with what is suited to the UK! Although that was a few years ago so they may have developed, they were lovely though from the first taste, definitely sweeter & less fibrous & good to crunch on raw while weeding at lottie!

Have you got space to try them both?
Westi
vivienz
KG Regular

Thanks both, I shall have a read.

Westi - we do have space to try both; I'll do the research and report back with, undoubtedly, more questions.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic